Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Software Engineer – Mission Planning
Senior Mission Planning software engineer to assist in architecture and development of a new cloud-based mission planning system. This position will be working as part of a larger team defining and implementing a full ground system architecture for products such as satellite command and control, mission planning, mission data processing, and satellite simulation in the cloud. The ideal candidate will have a detailed knowledge of mission planning, cloud, and Java technologies, software development processes, infrastructure deployment/management technologies, programming languages, and the ability to step in and help where needed.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop a new mission planning system.
- Work as part of an integrated development team to build satellite ground systems.
- Work with the following software development lifecycle concepts: Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI), and Continuous Deployment (CD).
- Perform software development and architecture development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Computer Science preferred.
- Mission planning experience required.
- Java development experience required.
- Cloud technology experience preferred (AWS / Azure / Google).
- Container experience (Docker and/or Kubernetes) preferred.
- Experience with multiple modern software languages, databases, and frameworks such as Python, Ruby, Java, RHEL, Angular, Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, Redis, etc. preferred.
- Current TS/SCI security clearance required.
- Experience working in Linux.
- Good planning, organization, and communication skills.
- Ability to work with large teams of distributed ground system engineers, software engineers, and engineers of multiple other disciplines.
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.