Company: VIZIO, Inc.
VIZIO, Inc., headquartered in Irvine, California, is America's Smart TV and Sound Bar Company. VIZIO's mission is to be the industry leader in Consumer Electronics by consistently delivering the latest technologies at the most affordable price. VIZIO's brand promise is to deliver innovative, premium-quality consumer electronics with an unwavering focus on the needs of our consumers.
We are currently seeking a Senior Data Engineer at our Seattle, WA offices to work with the Machine Learning, Data and Analytics team under VIZIO Software & Services.
We live and breath big data. On a daily basis, we ingest, extract, analyze, and report on information from millions of TVs across North America. We build and employ machine learning algorithms to personalize the customers’ experience to find relevant media content through recommendations and customized searches. We also build and maintain complex data pipelines, supporting streaming analytics and machine learning workflows, to gain valuable insights and achieve our business objectives.
We’re all in with AWS and make extensive use of many of their services. On any given day we are running hundreds of instances with a stack and application set that includes Python, C#, Spark, Kinesis, Kafka, Lambda, Kubernetes, Redshift, DynamoDB, QuickSight, Tableau, and many others.
We are currently using data structures, processing, and reporting approaches that got us this far but we are in need of a rethink and redesign. Our current approach involves large AWS Redshift clusters, numerous ETL processes with business logic in those ETLs as well as very complicated and lengthy SQL queries to produce reports that are run periodically, and which often contain largely redundant data.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead the architecture, creation, and operation of the next generation data infrastructure.
- Design, implement, and test internal software/services and ETL pipelines to support machine learning workflows and analytics integration across various systems within VIZIO.
- Communicate designs and decisions within the team and will encourage new ideas and solutions.
- Participate in the planning and scheduling of tasks, and responsible for meeting deadlines as determined jointly with their manager.
- Properly comment code as appropriate and produce external documentation for more complex software components.
- Stay up to date with current development tools, processes, and techniques as related to the type of programming tasks assigned.
- Protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA, BS, or MS in Computer Science or similar) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 8 years of development experience, at least 3 years in a commercial environment for a consumer-facing product.
- Proficient with Python, Spark, and SQL. Preferred: Proficient in at least one strongly typed programming language (C#, Java, C++ or similar).
- Experience with data pipelines and using modern streaming and batch data processing frameworks and tools such as Kafka, Spark, and EMR.
- Experience working with RDBMS and MongoDB (or other NoSQL technologies.)
- You’ve designed, built and operated SQL infrastructure at scale.
- You’ve designed, built and run NoSQL at scale.
- Proficient building solutions using AWS or equivalent technologies.
- Experience with scalable distributed systems.
- Experience detailing a comparative analysis of data stores
- Proficient with containers and orchestration.
- You have strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and a careful approach to handling issues.
- Experience leading a team of skilled software engineers.
- You understand all too well that not every problem is a nail and not every solution involves a hammer and have the experience and expertise to determine, select, and use the right tool for the right job.
- You are a performance and optimization nerd.
- You are a self-starter and enjoy digging into the details.
- You are someone that may have strong opinions about things but plays well with others.
- You have excellent communications skills, possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and are able to adapt to the level and nature of your audience.
What we offer
You will be working alongside experienced leaders in the industry who will give you broad exposure to a wide array of technologies. Growth is important to us, so you will have opportunities to learn new tech and have a big influence on solving problems directly affecting day to day operations and uptime.
We offer a competitive compensation and a benefits package that includes real accrued vacation, health/dental/vision, 401k match, and more.
VIZIO, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. We will not pay fees to any third party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.