Senior Software Engineer - Galvanize Learning Platform at Galvanize
About Galvanize Learn
Delivering technology education effectively at scale is a major growth area for Galvanize. As our reach grows, we have an incredible opportunity to deliver our programs consistently and measure the outcomes for all students. Galvanize Learn is a software-based Learning Platform that combines functions from e-learning, classroom tools, and assessment. It enables active student learning, both in-classroom and remote, and measures student progress to support data-driven instruction. It is a major part of our effort to deliver a consistent student experience to our growing user base.
As the team responsible for this platform, we value being an empowered product team that can make decisions to deliver the software that our customers need. We are all involved in the complete product lifecycle, from early ideas to support the current production application. As a senior software engineer, your primary responsibility will be to ship high-quality software, but you will also have the opportunity to engage with users, brainstorm and develop prototypes, and design the final solutions. A shared understanding of our core problems is critical to the way that we work.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for helping us deliver and improve on our Learning platform and other related software.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Ownership of the software developed by our team.
- Help us ship code frequently, but push back when we need to slow down. Understand the tradeoffs here.
- Work within our process to drive the solutions to problems and use cases that we define as a team. Actively participate in product planning.
- Implement features on your own when that makes sense. Effectively pair with your teammates at times too.
- Make sure that our test coverage is adequate to confidently deliver new features to our product.
- Be an expert user of the features you build to help us ensure quality.
- Help with dev-ops tasks and supporting our applications in production.
- Communicate with our internal users and stakeholders.
This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience working as a software engineer.
- Some experience with the entire stack -- databases, backend, frontend, and dev ops. It’s ok to have focused on some parts more than others!
- Ruby on Rails experience
- Previous work in React, or a similar framework like Vue or Angular
- Competency in at least some of these: Node, Ruby on Rails, GO, Postgres, React.
- Practical experience with TDD and pair programming.
- You are excited to work on EdTech and a Learning Management System
- Proficiency with most/all of our stack--Node, Ruby on Rails, GO, Postgres, React.
- When it becomes safe to do so, work from our office in Denver at least once a week.
Certificates and Licenses
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a home-based position, with the option to work from any open Galvanize campus if desired. The noise level in the office is usually moderate (computers, printers, light foot traffic).
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
Galvanize provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.