Senior Software Engineer (Fullstack) - Genetics Information Assistant (GIA) at Invitae
Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our software engineers work on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology. We’re constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information for patient health. If you want to apply your knowledge and skills to improve the lives of billions of people, join our team.About our team:
Invitae needs experienced engineers with a diverse set of backgrounds to help us achieve our mission. As part of our team, you’ll help bring genetics to the masses with Gia, our Genetic Information Assistant. Gia is an innovative chatbot we use to engage patients, collect medical histories, evaluate risk, and educate them about genetics. Gia is revolutionizing the industry because we are eliminating barriers, lowering costs, and expanding access to clinical-grade genetic testing.What you will do:
- Lead sprint planning sessions, for estimating and sizing programs, features and tech enablers.
- Work closely with the product/design team to create Technical Design Documents for programs and features.
- Write structured, tested, readable and maintainable code.
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and shared knowledge.
- Lead technical efforts for internal or external customer needs.
- Help define and build new features or applications based on technology and business needs.
- Own and deliver projects that include the product or platform and stakeholder teams.
- Identify and design novel solutions to ambiguous, open-ended problems.
- Level up less-experienced teammates through mentorship, guidance, and be a good role model.
- Create solutions with impact beyond the immediate team by driving cross-team or cross-discipline initiatives.
- Deliver the team’s goals on time and with high quality.
- Define solutions and operational processes to level up the team.
- Understand the business context and how it intersects with the team’s goals.
- Identify when outcomes aren’t serving the needs of customers in a meaningful way or move the needle for the business.
- Take ambiguous projects or systems and create clarity for them.
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience working on cross-functional teams.
- Experience building and supporting production APIs with at least two of these backend stacks:
- Python with Django
- Java/Kotlin with Spring
- Experience building and optimizing modern web applications:
- Familiarity with bundlers, SPAs, PWAs, CDNs, etc.
- Hands on experience with SQL and NoSQL databases. Database tuning and query optimization skills are a big plus.
- Experience with unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration, and deployment.
- Familiarity with container based deployment via Docker, ECS, Kubernetes or similar.
- Familiarity with micro services and distributed systems is a big plus.
- Top notch communication skills. Experience with distributed teams is a plus.
- A mission-oriented mindset and a desire to never stop learning.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.