Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
We’re searching for a talented, autonomous vehicle software engineer who understands sensing modalities of all types and can lead the requirements development, evaluation, and implementation of a multi-modal sensor suite for a driverless trucking system.
Ideally, you'd have a deep background designing and developing a multi-modal sensing capability for an autonomous ground vehicle through the full lifecycle -- from an understanding of the environment and safety case to sensor placement, calibration, sensor fusion, and data consumption. Experience leading this effort for a commercial-scale robotics product deployed into round-the-clock, all-conditions operation will be an important enabler of success for this position.
The Senior Software Engineer -- Autonomous Vehicle Sensor Architecture will report to the Vice President of Software Engineering. This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation -- it offers a very talented software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the development of a multimodal (camera, LIDAR, RADAR, ultrasonic, infrared) sensor suite
- Determine requirements for the autonomous vehicle system's sensing capabilities broadly and individual sensors specifically
- Conduct trade studies of sensors, suppliers, and sensor categories
- Work with supply chain operations to map out the supplier landscape of available sensors and sensing solutions
- Select sensors for evaluation and conduct evaluations
- Create offline and online calibration software to register all sensors in the same frame
- Consider the efficacy of each modality/type and model of sensor data in supporting perception and operational needs
- Travel and perform fieldwork, depending on initial customer locations (up to 25%)
- Masters or PhD, or Bachelors degree with commensurate experience in a related field
- 2+ years' relevant industry experience
- Ability to read/write/debug C++
- A clear understanding of how sensor data will be used to advance the system's sensing capabilities
- Ability to write sensor drivers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Sterling references
- Ability to write sensor drivers
- Familiarity with as many of the following as possible: stereo vision, LIDAR, RADAR, ultrasonic and thermal sensing technology
- Ability to read/write/debug Python
- Prior use of Git for software version control
- FOSS libraries/frameworks such as OpenCV, the Point Cloud Library (PCL), and similar packages
Read Full Job Description