Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
We’re searching for a talented, pedigreed software engineer who has developed and implemented planning software more or less from scratch for safety-critical, ground robotics applications.
You'll be the engineering lead for a category-defining motion planning capability that incorporates physics/kinematics, path planning, and trajectory optimization for an autonomous tractor-trailer combination capable of forward and reverse movement, including articulated backing, hitching/unhitching, and docking/undocking at warehouse loading docks. This subsystem will enable unprecedented functionality using durable, tried-and-true, classical motion planning techniques.
The Senior Software Engineer - Autonomous Vehicle Motion Planning will report to the Vice President of Software Engineering. This role is mission-critical for helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a very talented software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, implement, and test motion planning subsystems for autonomous ground-based vehicles
- Qualify motion planning performance using objective measures
- Understand and keep up-to-date with state of the art
- Identify opportunities for increasing performance and reducing hardware cost
- Masters or PhD, or Bachelors degree with commensurate experience in a related field
- Ability to read/write/debug C++
- Familiarity with Linux development and target environments
- Prior experience developing motion planning systems that have been used in a production ground-vehicle system, or an advanced research prototype (end-to-end, full lifecycle development preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Sterling references
- Ability to read/write/debug Python
- Prior use of Git for software version control
Read Full Job Description