Senior Software Engineer, API at Checkr
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is an API first company. We develop world-class developer friendly REST APIs and webhooks. Checkr is looking for experienced API Platform Engineers to work with us to continue developing and building tools, processes, standards and a great developer experience for our newly formed API Platform Team. The primary goal of this team is to develop and implement overall API strategy, standards, best practices, developer experience, set of frameworks and tools to
- Accelerate the development of APIs
- Scale our products better with our APIs
- Provide top notch API experience to our customers and internal teams alike
- Provide a holistic and seamless API Lifecycle Management experience to create, control and consume APIs with solid foundational analytics.
Our platform team is open-source first, with multiple open source maintainers and even more users of some of our tools outside the company than inside.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Understanding internal and external developers needs around APIs to design and build a great developer portal
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to come up with API standards for our internal and public APIs
- Provide metrics, monitoring, observability, logging and tracing APIs.
- Understand and implement versioning and deprecation strategy for our APIs
- Work on building sandbox test environment for APIs.
- Be part of a development community to enhance standards and continue to improve on our tooling and developer portal
What we value in an API Platform Engineer:
- You have 5+ years of experience building distributed systems with a focus on performance, scalability, and security.
- You are a strong communicator, enjoy working in cross functional teams, and a strong influence on other engineers.
- You have a passion for API design and development
- You have curiosity in figuring out how to deliver clean, robust and scalable code
- You have experience with at least one or more of the following -- microservices, API design, infrastructure services (Kafka, API Gateway, RPC frameworks) or open source software
- You understand how to build out reliable distributed systems and can deeply discuss tradeoffs
- Proficiency in Kong, Mulesoft, Apigee or other API Gateways
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
- Experience with microservices
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.