Senior Site Reliability Engineer at HomeAdvisor
At HomeAdvisor our Engineering organization is driven by innovation and teamwork. We are motivated by new challenges every day to solve unique problems while setting the standard for the home services marketplace. Our co-workers are our collaborators, our teammates and everyone has the opportunity to contribute and build. We believe strongly in a culture of an independent team of engineers, who are considered an expert in their own business domain and makes decisions relevant to that expertise. The SRE team defines the standard of excellence within engineering around reliability, transparency, and availability.
HomeAdvisor is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) who will be responsible for keeping all user-facing services and other HomeAdvisor production systems running smoothly. You will help shape our infrastructure and build the foundation our team relies on for the rapid, reliable delivery of our product. We’ll rely on you to instill best practices for building scalable distributed systems, with a keen focus on observability and fault tolerance. Our stack consists of technologies such as Kubernetes, Java Spring Boot, Oracle, Postgres, Coherence, Redis, Elasticsearch inside a hybrid cloud.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Be part of an on-call rotation to respond to incidents and provide support for software engineers across HomeAdvisor initiative teams.
- Build visibility into SLIs, SLOs, SLAs, dependency graphs to reduce operational burden or toil.
- Drive on instrumentation patterns to alert on symptoms and not on outages leveraging our monitoring stack of Grafana, Prometheus, Elasticsearch.
- Use your on-call shift to prevent incidents from occurring.
- Run our infrastructure with Terraform and Kubernetes.
- Use a data-driven approach to findings, turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
- Improve the deployment process to make it as quick and dependable as possible.
- Design, build and maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow HomeAdvisor to scale to meet its market demand.
- Debug production issues across the full stack.
- Plan and shape the growth of HomeAdvisor’s ever-evolving infrastructure.
The folks in this role are usually successfully when they have 4+ years of experience in:
- Breadth of knowledge across our infrastructure and application stack.
- Contributes small improvements to all codebase to resolve issues.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes, Mesos, or Nomad. (We use Kubernetes.)
- A track record of leveraging automation whenever and wherever.
- An appreciation of and enthusiasm for software engineering best practices, such as infrastructure as code, testing, and continuous delivery
- Identifying Service Level Indicators (SLIs) that will align the team to meet the availability and latency objectives.
- Performing and running blameless RCAs on incidents and outages and drive to prevent the incident from reoccurring.
- Nginx, HAProxy, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Prometheus or similar technologies
Projects you could work on:
- Improving our Monitoring stack across the board.
- Migrate our ingress controllers to a more cloud-native paradigm ( istio, envoy, traefik ).
- Instrument our rails app to collect important information about our applications.
- Immutable kubernetes upgrade pattern automation.
- Build tooling to help reduce toil across the engineering organization.
Compensation & Benefits:
- The salary band for this position ranges from $130,000-$190,000, commensurate with experience and performance. Compensation may vary based on factors such as cost of living.
- This position will be eligible for a competitive year end performance bonus & equity package.
- Full medical, dental, vision package to fit your needs
- Flexible vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
- Pet discount plans & retirement plan with company match (401K)
- The rare opportunity to work with sharp, motivated teammates solving some of the most unique challenges and changing the world
HomeAdvisor is the self-contained operating business of ANGI Homeservices (NASDAQ: ANGI), a federation of spirited technology companies that build for a better economy. In 2017, Angie’s List and HomeAdvisor combined to create the world’s largest Homeservices marketplace. We love the software that we invent, the millions of service professionals whom we empower and the hundreds of millions of homeowners whose lives we beautify. As a purposeful technology company, we foster a culture of collaboration, and nurture growth through innovation. We are proud to be recognized as a Top Workplace in Denver for 6 years and counting!