Senior Satellite Electrical Systems Engineer
Support the management and execution of satellite systems engineering activities for DigitalGlobe’s commercial imaging satellites, with immediate focus on the Legion satellites now in development. This person will review the satellite electrical design; ensuring the design will meet all performance, reliability, and life-cycle requirements. For future satellite developments, this person will perform trade studies, develop alternatives, help write RFPs, and evaluate contractor proposals to ensure solid electronics architectures and designs that will provide the required performance within cost and schedule constraints.
Works with other Space Segment engineers, Satellite Operations engineers, and contractor engineers to accomplish his/her goals. Responsible for overseeing and guiding contractors in design and implementation of satellite electronics, including: general electrical architecture and design, interface compatibility, radiation tolerance, EMI/EMC, parts selection and qualification processes, and electronics test verification methodology. Reviews electronics issues that arise and ensures contractors have resolved and documented them appropriately.
- Assist in the development of satellite requirements
- Review contractor design implementation and requirements verification program to ensure satellite will meet DigitalGlobe specifications
- Perform independent analyses to verify contractor performance predictions
- Perform analyses as needed to support internal system and mission trades
- Prepare and present briefings at major internal/customer design reviews
- Recommend specific C&DH implementation schemes
- Provide expert knowledge to Satellite Operations group regarding satellite electrical subsystems
The combined total qualifications of each candidate will be considered, including education, experience, and areas of expertise.
- 5+ years of experience in the following general disciplines, with at least some specifically in satellite manufacturing:
- analog and digital electrical design
- electrical box and electrical system testing
- electrical system design (command and data handling, power)
- requirements development
- system budgeting and performance analyses
- preparation of briefings and design reviews for customers
- US Citizenship
- Government security clearance at the Top Secret or higher level; or the ability to get such a clearance
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree or experience
- Experience with low earth orbit satellites, especially visible imagers
- Experience performing technical oversight of electronics contractors
- Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree or experience; advanced education may be substituted for 2-3 years of experience.
The Space Systems engineering team is dedicated to providing the greatest value and benefit to DigitalGlobe by managing the procurement of our future remote-sensing satellites. The team also manages the spacecraft and launch vehicle programs from concept through launch. The WorldView systems to date are the premier high-resolution remote sensing space platforms in the commercial industry. Come be a part of the Space Systems team as we ramp up on the design and build of our next generation of world-class satellites, WorldView Legion.
DigitalGlobe offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.