Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior RF Engineer - RF Electronics Design
This engineering position reports to the manager of RF Solutions, primarily supporting the Tactical Solutions business unit of Ball, and has Radio Frequency (RF) engineering as its area of specialization with design and test of RF electronics systems and circuits as the focus.
What You’ll Do:
- Be responsible for the hands-on design and realization of RF phased arrays, large RF systems, and active circuits and other RF components.
- Design and test circuits for phased arrays, receivers, transmitters, local oscillators, and RF subsystems. Designs typically range in frequency from VHF through Ka band.
- Simulate circuit and system performance using analytical software such as AWR Microwave Office, VSS, Agilent ADS, SystemVue, and MATLAB.
- Collaborate with other engineers and technicians to realize completed RF electronics and RF designs.
- Participate and guide the testing of RF hardware for required performance metrics in phased array systems: EIRP, power efficiency, G/T, etc.
- Test components (e.g. amplifiers, mixers, limiters, oscillators) for suitability in designs.
- Design circuit boards for use in receivers and transmitters.
- Design chip and wire components for use in receivers, high-power limiters, and transmitters.
- Test and document designs in preparation for potential production.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field.
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers and technicians in the design, build, and test phases of projects and programs.
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represent the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Interface well with other people at all levels including customers, use initiative in applying solutions to assignments. Contribute to large teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, Strategic Business Units, and Strategic Support Units. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Full competency in core RF engineering and skills and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Experience designing RF systems, especially phased arrays, for use in satellite communications, RADAR, and/or EW from concept to initial production is highly desired.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Assist with the preparation and delivery of presentations.
- Experience and skills to effectively contribute to successful producibility of designs and to cost, budget, and schedule control.
- RF electronics hardware design and RF system design experience are desirable.
- RF hardware and microwave circuit board / PCB layout experience are desirable.
- Some exposure and experience with the radiating components/antennas that are typically used in phased array systems.
- Experience with circuit simulation is not required, but highly desirable.
- Experience and proficiency in programming, data manipulation, and data visualization in MATLAB.
- Experience writing test automation scripts in python is desirable.
- Experience interfacing with analog to digital and digital to analog converters is desirable.
- Experience with software defined radios (SDRs) is desirable.
- Must be able to schedule and execute measurements at internal and external facilities; perform measurement analysis and troubleshooting.
- Experience with RF test equipment (including RF signal generators, spectrum analyzers, and network analyzers).
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical expertise in RF engineering and to leverage knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to lead RF efforts and tasks and to guide technical project teams toward the completion of program goals and milestones.
- Current security clearance is preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.