Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact:
The Reliability team is passionate about building reliable and efficient software. We provide real time support to Xero’s customer facing applications and now, as we scale up Xero’s data platforms, have started developing world class tooling too.
We need talented software engineers to join us in tackling the unique challenges of working at Xero’s worldwide scale.
As a Senior Software Engineer in DRE, you will apply your engineering skills to understand and address the challenges faced by our customers, and to drive the development of applications and tools that improve the scalability and performance of Xero as a whole. We are looking for people who relish the chance to help grow those around them, through constructive input into architectural decisions and technical guidance & mentoring to other developers.
What you'll bring with you:
- 3+ years of software team experience with C# (experience with .NET Core and/or .NET 5.0 preferred) (back end experience)
- Self driven and pragmatic, with a desire to solve hard scalability problems.
- Technical leadership, decision making, and ownership of engineering challenges within your team.
- Can work with stakeholders and understand priorities of the team.
- Some experience with mentoring or coaching other engineers.
- Good understanding of how Lean practices can be applied in the context of Product Development and Operations.
- Communication skills - Proactively share information, actively solicit feedback, respectfully challenge the status quo, manage and facilitate communication if needed.
- Work collaboratively - Help individuals resolve difficult problems with empathy, exchange ideas, demonstrate conflict management skills.
- Self-learning - Maintains in-depth knowledge of advances and learnings in technologies relevant to Xero’s engineering environment.
- Proven development or infrastructure engineering with a desire to learn development practices and principles.
- Worked with large scale distributed systems.
- Experience using logging and monitoring solutions e.g. New Relic, Datadog, Sumo Logic or Splunk.
- Involvement in an Incident Response process.
- Design and engineering experience delivering software designed for high concurrency, scalability, or availability.
- Solid experience with various Deployment and Monitoring tools.
- Coaching/mentoring others in the context of Product Development and Delivery.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with AWS or other cloud services
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server (or other relational databases)
- Experience with Kubernetes
Why you should become a Xero
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful offices
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently Remote
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged, but celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of - whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority, Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.