About Caliper Foods
Caliper Foods (caliperfoods.life), is a consumer packaged goods company that offers safe and standardized hemp-derived soluble cannabinoids to both consumers and manufacturers alike.
Caliper Foods encompasses two distinct business lines: (1) Caliper Commercial Ingredients, which provides soluble CBD ingredients at scale to food, beverage, supplement, and other CPG manufacturers; and (2) Caliper Consumer, which sells its own line of CBD-infused products nationwide.
Caliper Foods was founded in 2015 on the belief that cannabinoids, especially non-psychoactive compounds like CBD, are a major new category in functional ingredients.
About the Job
We are looking for an experienced Senior Food Scientist to join our fast paced, dynamic and growing team. This person will be asked to spend time in (1) leading our Technical Stage Gate program and (2) leading commercialization and efficiencies within our manufacturing environment. The role is R&D based with significant growth opportunities in Caliper Foods.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Lead R&D implementation of new projects. Successful use of the stage gate process to track progress and deliver projects on time and in full
- Work with manufacturing and quality to optimize existing offerings to drive product consistency and consumer centric product quality.
- Product stability through production scale up and in market. Lead workstreams to test, validate and implement necessary improvements.
- Work with food based vendors, such as flavor/color houses, ingredient suppliers, and carrier oils to recommend and develop new ingredient solutions for process improvement and implementation.
- Create new product and ingredient specifications when required
- Understanding of food label needs for organic, kosher, allergens and “clean label” requirements
- Ensure product quality, documentation and food safety needs are met for new products
- Work effectively and safely in a food manufacturing environment
What we’ll love about you:
- A process-oriented problem solver who can manage complex situations without panicking
- A team player with a distaste for mercenaries
- An organized, proactive nature that loves building systems and tools
- An emotionally mature adult who prefers to work with other emotionally mature adults
- An inquisitive, curious nature that views ignorance as an opportunity to learn or teach
- A willingness to admit error quickly and move immediately on to improvement
- Excellent communication skills across all levels and across teams
- Excellent time management skills
What you’ll love about us:
- A fast-growing company with a deep belief in the value of developing talent internally from within
- A group of sane, rational executives who try their best to be decent human beings
- An environment where fire drills are the exception, not the norm
- We offer flexible PTO for all full-time employees
- We pay competitive salaries for all roles. For salaried employees, we also cover 100% of your healthcare premium
- 401k Retirement Plan
- For more details on the culture we foster, visit: http://bit.ly/2F5zhPt
- Master of Science preferred with 5+ years of product development experience
- Strong project management skills using a Stage Gate process
- A deep scientific understanding of food systems
- Diverse food processing scale up experience
- A drive for results and strong problem solving skills
- Enjoys working in a team environment
- Values data driven design but can work with limited data through intentful risk assessments
- Exercises sound decision making skills under pressure
- Experience with Design of Experiments and deep understanding of ingredient functionality
- Experience in food emulsions and beverage formulation is strongly preferred
Caliper Foods is committed to creating and celebrating a diverse work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and hire solely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.