Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Senior Engineer, State Estimation will help architect and lead localization & state estimation development efforts for Outrider’s fully electric, driverless trucking solution to automate freight yards. We are looking for someone who knows how to design and develop state estimation capabilities from the ground up to help build a key pillar of our autonomous system for high-volume, production deployment.
The ideal candidate will know the nuances of ground-vehicle state estimation and how to build that solution for Outrider’s use case in controlled and semi-controlled logistics environments. We are tackling this with a cutting-edge sensor suite that includes LIDAR, RADAR, vision, encoders, and inertial sensors.
This role is ideal for someone who wants to be a part of a small, impactful organization pushing confined-area, heavy-vehicle autonomy into the mainstream. We're a team of builders that's passionate about start-to-finish, production-oriented development and taking our research into the real world.
State estimation is a pivotal function for delivering a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on, team lead the chance to help develop a market-defining, enterprise-grade robotics product that combines autonomous vehicle technologies with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate embraces the idea of reducing the carbon footprint of our 'get-it-now' economy and is invigorated by our overarching mission to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle technology.
Duties and responsibilities
- Drive the full software development cycle for the localization, mapping, and calibration of our perception system as we build the next generation of autonomous vehicles
- Take responsibility for leading efforts to formulate, implement, and evaluate localization, mapping, and calibration algorithms.
- Stay informed about cutting edge best practices and implementation
- Own a mission critical piece of our system to deliver autonomous systems into production
- Contribute generally to the growth and success of the Company and the building of a vibrant culture focused on the responsible deployment of zero-emission autonomous vehicle technology
- MS or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience building production level C++ software for robotics applications in linux environments
- Deep understanding of linear algebra, geometry, and probability
- Experience performing sensor fusion with LIDARs, RADARs, cameras, GNSS and IMU
- Experience with Kalman filters, bundle adjustment or factor graph optimization
- Curious/analytical nature and desire to build
- PhD with publications related to state estimation
- Previous experience with autonomous vehicles
- Leadership experience in robotics applications
- Deep understanding of ROS
- Exposure to safety critical development
- Experience in building from scratch high accuracy and mission critical state estimation components with proven outdoor performance across a wide variety of operational conditions.
Salary range of $150,000 - $200,000. For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.