At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Engineer – Payload Operations Systems Engineer
Join Ball Aerospace’s Payload Systems Engineering team as an Instrument Operations Systems Engineer! In this position you will lead a team to establish the operational concept and plan, define, communicate, and implement the operations of a payload or instrument. As part of the Systems Engineering team, you will identify risks and create a plan to monitor and control opportunities and threats.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage Instrument CONOPS and Operations requirements over the program lifecycle; – Informed by mission CONOPS, definition, analysis, allocations, verification and validation.
- Guide subsystem development with a focus on the mission CONOPS, subsystem interfaces, and timelines.
- Gather needs and input from stakeholders, and translate them into system constraints, operating procedures, and command sequences.
- Identify system/subsystem interfaces and work with technical experts to ensure proper documentation, maintenance, and flow of information.
- Track and assess project changes as they impact operational plans and products.
- Communicate to internal/external customers how to operate the system.
- Support integration and test activities.
Work with Integration and Test (I&T) to define and implement flight-like testing and provide input to risk assessments for exceptions.
- Create and deliver presentations to internal/external customers in both informal and formal settings.
- Mentor less experienced engineers in best systems engineering practices and seek mentorship from others to guide your own career development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in space instrumentation and payload engineering is preferred; including but is not limited to the following:
- Systems architecture and design, systems engineering, imaging, data acquisition and analysis, commands and telemetry definition, and integration and test.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and clearly describe proposed solutions.
- Good writing and presentation skills, with experience communicating to decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to guide others in maintaining a strong technical vision of the end product and keeping a “big picture” vision.
- Demonstrated drive to reach beyond typical job responsibilities and deliver results.
- Experience in operational software (flight or ground) preferred.
- Familiarity with databases such as Access or SQL preferred.
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Ruby, Python, or Visual Basic preferred.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.