Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are currently looking for a Senior Engineer to join our NZ Tax team. This can be a fully remote role, as long as you’re based somewhere in New Zealand!
What is the NZ Tax team?
This team's mission is to help accountants and bookkeepers manage their clients' tax obligations efficiently and give them true peace of mind that everything is accurate and on time.
- Tax return filing deals with the electronic filing of forms and has just been successfully migrated to the IRD's new Gateway Services as part of their multi-year business transformation project.
- Tax management covers all other parts of managing a client's tax obligations, particularly making sure they know when and how much they have to pay. IRD's transformation has included the release of lots of new APIs with more to come. One of our current goals is to leverage the new data and endpoints available to improve many of the workflows in the product.
What makes a “Senior” Engineer at Xero?
The title of Senior means something a little different at Xero than it typically does in market. Yes, you’ll need to have strong hands on coding capabilities but more than that, a Senior at Xero needs to understand, teach and contribute to our technical best practices. They'll think critically about the frameworks, libraries, tools and directions we take. The ability to plan out a larger system, analysis and assumptions, suggesting technologies and justifying those decisions. They’ll have a solution design mindset, understanding the why, thinking about larger scale implications as the product grows and evolves.
What we're looking for?
- Experience with C#, SQL, and AWS
- Experience with Docker, Cypress, React or Kotlin would be advantageous
- Experience thinking critically about the frameworks, libraries and tools you've used
- A solution design mindset
- An solid understanding of Agile, Lean and DevOps principles
- Exposure to Test-driven development / Domain Driven Design in practice would be an advantage
- A focus on quality - we take pride in what we make for millions of users!
- You're a collaborator, you love coaching, pairing, mobbing and educating where you can and learning from your team
Why should you become a Xero?
Xero is an inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. Where creativity, innovation and continuous learning are encouraged and celebrated. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe or a workplace which understands your family, sport or a side gig is the priority or something in between - Xero can be all of that and more.
At Xero, we trust you to build your career to the best of your ability and we will support your desire for learning with training and career mentorship to help you flourish. As part of our awesome package, you’ll receive Xero shares and a Life Insurance package as well as a variety of other perks to make your time here that much more fun.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.