Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
We’re searching for a senior computer vision and machine learning engineer with at least 3 years experience developing algorithms and training models for one of the following: object detection, tracking, segmentation, pose estimation, and classification of obstacle types (vehicle, truck, pedestrian, etc.).
The Senior Engineer, Computer Vision & Machine Learning, will join a team that is developing the next-generation perception stack for the Outrider fleet of autonomous trucks. The team is working on interesting and challenging problems in pose estimation and object detection using LIDAR, RADAR, vision, and GNSS/INS.
The engineer in this role will help drive the development of perception capabilities by owning the full development lifecycle model, from dataset curation and model development to integration with the perception pipeline.
The Senior Engineer, Computer Vision & Machine Learning will report to the Manager of Machine Learning and develop perception-based software capabilities through all phases of Outrider's pilot and deployment programs. This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a reliable, profitable, performant, safety-critical system -- it offers a very talented software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and train models for applications such as object detection, tracking, classification, segmentation, and pose estimation
- Evaluate model performance
- Incorporate models in perception algorithms
- Integrate models into production vehicle perception systems
- Maintain training, validation, and testing sets across customer sites and weather conditions
- Be responsible for the full software engineering lifecycle: requirements, design, source code implementation, unit test, integration, and system test
- Travel and perform fieldwork, depending on initial customer locations (up to 10%)
- While this is an accurate reflection of the position, Outrider reserves the right to require additional/different tasks to be performed as needed
- 3+ years of professional experience training, evaluating, and deploying models for object detection, segmentation, and pose estimation with a deep learning framework such as PyTorch or Tensorflow
- 3+ years of professional C++ and Python experience
- Experience working on a team in a Linux environment and targeting embedded deployment
- Masters degree in computer science or relevant field with exposure to classic and modern computer vision techniques
- Experience with at least one of the following: vision, LIDAR, radar, or thermal sensing technology
- AWS experience with S3, SQS, Lambda, DynamoDB, and EC2
- Experience with docker
- ROS / software for ground robotic systems
- Experience with embedded computer vision
- Prior experience designing annotation ontologies and working with data labeling vendors
- FOSS libraries/frameworks such as OpenCV, the Point Cloud Library (PCL), and similar packages
- FOSS tools supporting software engineering, such as CMake, continuous integration packages, the Google test framework and others
- PhD and relevant publications and patents
Compensation & benefits
- Salary range of $145,000 - $160,000. For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.