Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Senior Engineer, Computer Vision & Machine Learning will report to the Manager of Machine Learning and develop perception-based software capabilities through all phases of Outrider's autonomous vehicle (AV) deployment programs. The engineer in this role will help drive the development of perception capabilities by owning the full development lifecycle model, from dataset curation and model development to integration with the perception pipeline.
We’re searching for an expert computer vision and machine learning engineer with 3+ years of experience developing algorithms and training models for one of the following: object detection, tracking, segmentation, pose estimation, and classification of obstacle types (vehicle, truck, pedestrian, etc.). This role is ideal for someone who wants to be a part of a small, impactful organization pushing confined-area, heavy-vehicle autonomy into the mainstream. We're a team of builders that's passionate about start-to-finish, production-oriented development and taking our research into the real world.
The Senior Engineer, Computer Vision & Machine Learning, will join a team that is developing the next-generation perception stack for Outrider's commercially deployed fleet of autonomous trucks. The team is working on interesting and challenging problems in pose estimation and object detection using LIDAR, RADAR, vision, and GNSS/INS.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a reliable, profitable, performant, safety-critical system -- it offers a technical, hands-on engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining, enterprise-grade robotics product that combines autonomous vehicle technologies with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate embraces the idea of reducing the carbon footprint of our 'get-it-now' economy and is invigorated by our overarching mission to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle technology.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and train models for applications such as object detection, tracking, classification, segmentation, and pose estimation
- Evaluate model performance
- Incorporate models in perception algorithms
- Integrate models into production vehicle perception systems
- Maintain training, validation, and testing sets across customer sites and weather conditions
- Be responsible for the full software engineering lifecycle: requirements, design, source code implementation, unit test, integration, and system test
- Travel and perform fieldwork, depending on initial customer locations (up to 10%)
- Contribute generally to the growth and success of the Company and the building of a vibrant culture focused on the responsible deployment of zero-emission autonomous vehicle technology
- 3+ years of professional experience training, evaluating, and deploying models for object detection, segmentation, and pose estimation with a deep learning framework such as PyTorch or Tensorflow
- 3+ years of professional C++ and Python experience
- Experience working on a team in a Linux environment and targeting embedded deployment
- Masters degree in computer science or relevant field with exposure to classic and modern computer vision techniques
- Experience with at least one of the following: vision, LIDAR, radar, or thermal sensing technology
- AWS experience with S3, SQS, Lambda, DynamoDB, and EC2
- Experience with docker
- ROS / software for ground robotic systems
- Experience with embedded computer vision
- Prior experience designing annotation ontologies and working with data labeling vendors
- FOSS libraries/frameworks such as OpenCV, the Point Cloud Library (PCL), and similar packages
- FOSS tools supporting software engineering, such as CMake, continuous integration packages, the Google test framework and others
- PhD and relevant publications and patents
Compensation & benefits
- Salary range of $170,000 - $210,000. For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.