CircleCI is seeking a Senior Engineer for our Community and Partner Engineering organization to build technical assets that extend the core CircleCI platform, including, but not necessarily limited to, the emerging ecosystem around orbs, our new package manager for CircleCI configuration, and our fleet of images, used every day in thousands of CircleCI jobs.
As a member of our organization, you will develop and support a wide range of codebases and projects, most of which are open source. You will also work directly with our end users and Technology Partners to improve the integration of our platform with third-party services and support the continued growth of an open-source community around CircleCI.
Part of CircleCI’s Customer Engineering organization, the Community & Partner Engineering team is widely distributed and 100% remote, so your ability to collaborate remotely with other team members is critical.About Customer Engineering at CircleCI
The CircleCI Customer Engineering organization’s goal is to make life easier for our customers and leave them with the “wow” experience of building and testing their applications with ease. Customer Engineering works with customers to understand their technical and business needs and requirements—from onboarding to implementation to scale.
This Department consists of Solutions Engineering (pre-sales), Success Engineering (post-sales for large accounts), Support Engineering (post-sales ticket-based support for all customers), and Community and Partner Engineering.What you'll do:
- Support the rollout of new CircleCI features and functionality by building orbs, images, and other assets that make adoption of those features easier for end users
- Gain exposure to a range of DevOps tools and platforms as you work to integrate them with CircleCI, often via by directly collaborating with the technical teams building those tools and platforms
- Use shell scripts, YAML, Docker, and third-party APIs on a daily basis
- Collaborate with the CircleCI user community on improvements and fixes to many of our open-source codebases
- Work across the Customer Engineering organization, as well as with folks within Product and Engineering to understand common use cases and patterns, and how to make them easier to accomplish on our platform
- Write code that is self-documenting and continuously tested/deployed, and that has immediate, direct customer impact
We’re looking for someone who is curious and interested in learning, brings strong communication and teamwork skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouraging best practices. If this sounds like you, here are some additional qualifications we’re looking for:
- A desire to lead new initiatives and development efforts to enhance the user experience of CircleCI’s end users and Technology Partners
- A passion for open source software – ideally, you already create or contribute to projects, or else you would be excited to do so
- Experience using Git, GitHub/Bitbucket, and/or other version control systems
- Experience using continuous integration and deployment platforms (like CircleCI, for example)
- Experience writing shell scripts and developing command-line tools
- Strong skills and experience with various Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, Alpine, etc.) and containerization/virtualization technologies (Docker, VMs). Bonus if you're also familiar with macOS and/or Windows.
- Use and automation of infrastructure/tools/services for at least one major cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Strong customer-facing skills (communication, empathy, technical writing)
- Experience with popular web app frameworks (e.g. Rails, Django, React) and/or mobile app development (iOS, Android)
- Familiarity with modern high-level programming languages such as Clojure, Go, and/or Rust
- You’ve thrown together an app or two in a high-level programming language
- You can tie business problems to technical solutions and understand technology value propositions
- Demonstrated capacity to quickly absorb new concepts and technologies
We know there’s no such thing as an “ideal” candidate—we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, then we hope you’ll apply.Working remotely at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. We can support you working remotely anywhere in the United States, Canada, Germany, Ireland, or the United Kingdom.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital. Learn more at https://circleci.com.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.