Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Electrical Systems Engineer
The Electrical Solutions team is seeking a Senior Electrical Systems Engineer to provide electrical system architecture and electronics implementation experience, knowledge, and technical leadership for cutting-edge tactical electronics.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead electrical technology assessments and electrical system level architecture trade studies, electrical system definition, and electrical subsystem level requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Infuse new electrical technology where needed, make the electrical system work end-to-end, and make the mission successful.
- Provide technical oversight of detailed designs to ensure the electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the payload and spacecraft level. Technologies include focal planes, digital signal processing, high speed data transfer, low noise analog sensing, thermal control, mechanism control, low voltage power, power management and harnessing.
- Instrument level grounding, EMI/EMC/ESD allocations and implementation, and electrical interface control definitions.
- Effectively operate within a multi-discipline system engineering team.
- Work with both internal and external customers.
- Define and implement the test and verification program.
- Lead the resolution of hardware anomalies and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for defense-based systems.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience as a technical team leader with the ability to identify and mitigate technical risks.
- Experience designing electronics used for low voltage power generation and distribution, digital data processing, high speed serial data transmission, discrete command and telemetry, low noise analog signal processing, closed loop control electronics, and EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Experience developing single string and redundant electrical systems.
- Experience developing or guiding the creation of electrical system specifications, and electrical requirements analysis and allocation.
- Detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics, highly preferred.
- Analytical experience: FMECA, WCA, reliability, EMI/EMC/ESD, voltage drop, and derating.
- Ability to evaluate and optimize size, weight, and power.
- Experience with electro-optical systems, desired.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and the ability to effectively lead group discussions
- Current secret clearance is preferred; ability to obtain clearance is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Details are available on our careers site or by clicking here.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.