Senior Electrical Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Systems at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Electrical System Engineer - Spacecraft Systems
Does impacting climate change motivate you? Are you curious about unlocking the secrets to our universe? Does playing a part in the security of our nation and the world excite you? Ball Aerospace in beautiful Colorado supports DoD, NASA, and NOAA customers by designing space-based remote sensing systems. We are looking for a technical leader who can create electrical system architectures and implementations for cutting-edge space-based bus and payload systems.
What You’ll Do:
- Assess spacecraft electrical system technology and architecture definition.
- Perform electrical system conceptual development, trade studies and electrical subsystem level requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Provide technical oversight of subsystem designs to ensure the spacecraft electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the spacecraft bus level. Subsystems include power management, command & data handling, attitude determination and control, RF Telecom and electrical harnessing.
- Evaluate new internal electrical technology development and upgrades for the bus electrical system architecture and implement design solutions for maximum SWaP value.
- Interface with Systems Engineering, Integration and Test, and other engineering disciplines to develop electrical solutions for space-based systems.
- Provide guidance in defining and implementing the test and verification methodologies.
- Resolve hardware anomalies at the system level and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Evaluate size, weight, and power trades.
- Mitigate technical risks early in the design phase.
- Present to customer and to team members using written and verbal communication.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within Engineering, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Knowledge of electronics used for power distribution, power switching, command and data handling and RF Communications systems.
- Knowledge of grounding architectures for low noise systems.
- Knowledge of harnessing to meet voltage drop, power and signal integrity requirements.
- Knowledge of EMI/EMC/ESD design and test requirements for aerospace hardware.
- Experience with spacecraft level grounding, EMI/EMC/ESD and electrical interface control definitions.
- Experience with design trades, design concepts, system specifications, system analyses and failure reporting.
- Detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics.
- Analytical experience including FMECA, WCA, Reliability, RCCA, voltage drop and derating.
- Exceptional written communication skills, strong presentation skills and the ability to lead group discussions with customers and team members.
- Technical design team leadership experience.
- Experience in high speed digital system architectures, closed-loop control systems, integration and test.
- Experience with embedded processor-based electronics architecture.
- Understanding of redundant hardware/software architectures and fault tolerance design.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.