Senior Developer Support Engineer - Escalations at Nylas (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:15 p.m. (MST) on Thursday, March 31, 2022
Who we are
Our mission at Nylas is to turn communication into inspiration and insight. We empower over 100,000 developers and over 900 companies all over the world to access, parse, and gain insights from communications data to provide better experiences for their customers and users, all while providing top tier security and compliance. To achieve this vision, we’ve raised over $175M from Tiger Global, 8VC, ScaleUp, Spark Capital, Slack, and more.
We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and a massive opportunity (the world runs on communication and data). By continuing to hire exceptional people from all different backgrounds and perspectives, we have the opportunity to make Nylas one of the biggest, most successful and equitable technology companies in the world.
Nylas is an advocate for the well-being of our employees. We trust our employees and give them the autonomy to achieve their goals without focusing on when, where, and how they get there. We are a flexibility first workplace. That means if you have a preference for working fully remote, going into the office every day, or anywhere in between, we support that working style. but if Nylanauts want to work from an office, we have hubs in San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London.
We are also strong supporters of internal and cross-team mobility and growth. We want Nylas to be a place where anyone can be supported to grow, learn, and become the best at what they do. We’ve been named a top Startup for career growth and development by Forbes, Great Places to Work, and Comparably!
From our CTO + Co-Founder, Christine Spang:
“We have a number of folks on the team who started as an individual contributor and became staff level or leaders in their area. I personally love seeing people reach their full potential and become successful at Nylas.”
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 20TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 and has raised over $175M to date from Tiger Global, 8VC, Spark Capital, Slack, and more; as well as individual investors including Patrick Collison, Co-Founder and CEO of Stripe, John Collison, President and Co-Founder of Stripe, Sebastian Siemiatkowski, CEO of Klarna, and Tony Fadell. Developers around the world use Nylas to quickly and securely build email, scheduling, and work automation features into their applications. Nylas customers include Upwork, Wix, Freshworks, Lever, Dialpad, Ceridian, and Move.com.
Nylas is also big believers in the safety and well-being of our employees and society, which is why we are onboarding all new Nylanauts remotely during this global pandemic until there is a vaccine and it is safe for humans to resume their pre-COVID lifestyles.
AND once COVID-19 pandemic eventually comes to an end, we will continue to embrace Remote First philosophy, with a minor twist: Remote First, Office Second. That's right! It's about how you work, not where you work. Nylanauts can choose any workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. It's true. They can go anywhere as long as they respect the working hours (time zones) of their team. Wherever motivates them; inspires them to be better versions of themselves. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Missoula before traveling to the beaches of San Diego. Wonderful!
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can. Go ahead! The workspace is there to be utilized.
Why Remote First, Office Second? Because we not only believe in respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably, Great Place to Work.
Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
About The Role
Do you love digging into the nitty-gritty of weird issues? Enjoy explaining the intricacies of the system to customers without revealing too much of the sausage? Delight in documenting the precise code and actions that generate unexpected behavior? This Senior Support Engineer role might be for you!
- Reviewing incoming reports from your fellow team members (and from yourself, when you're busy in the queue but still need to note an issue for later investigation).
- Working with the team to collect any additional information needed from the customer and user.
- Performing additional investigation using internal tooling (for example, Kibana, Honeycomb, and other monitoring systems) to gather data and discern patterns and possible triggers for the issue, including the relevant code when possible.
- Creating reproduction environments and reproducing issues in order to share steps to reproduce, whenever feasible, using systems and tools such as G Suite, Microsoft Online, and Postman.
- Determining possible workarounds and communicating them to the reporting Support Engineer.
- Assessing the impact of the issue as characterized.
- Documenting your work and communicating with the Escalations Lead regarding next steps for investigation or escalation.
- As part of these responsibilities, you will also have increased opportunity to:
- Share debugging tips, tricks, and test accounts/environments with other support engineers
- Identify concerning trends in incoming issues and share them with the Escalations lead
- Submit suggestions or patches for improving support tooling
- Contribute to the growth and evolution of Escalations
- Submit fixes to the codebase
- You've provided technical product support (preferably for SaaS) for 2+ years or held a senior technical support role
- You have in-depth experience reproducing and debugging complex technical issues, troubleshooting bugs, and communicating successfully about your results with both customers and engineers
- You've used APIs extensively to query data and/or build applications
- You can thrive in a fast-paced environment with lots of autonomy
- You are detail-oriented and have great verbal and written communication skills
- You have deep empathy towards technical and non-technical users
- You love solving puzzles and learning new tools and approaches to do so
- you have experience working with major communications provider APIs (email, phone, text, etc.)
- you have experience with email server administration (e.g. Microsoft, Google, IMAP, etc.)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- Additional: Health and DC FSA, Life insurance, with options for STD, LTD
- Retirement Plan: match up to 1% of annual salary for 401k or RRSP contributions
- Education Stipend: $1k annual education & development benefit
- Perk card: $150 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
- Cell Phone: $50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application and will either move forward with your application, find another team that might be better suited to your skills, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Perks and Benefits:
Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
One Medical onsite and tele-health membership for you and dependents
Additional: Health and DC FSA, Life insurance, with options for STD, LTD
Retirement Plan: match up to 3% of annual salary for 401k or RRSP contributions
Education Stipend: $1k annual education & development benefit
Perk card: $150 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
Cell Phone: $50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
Fully Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.