Senior DBA at Procare Solutions
Our mission is to simplify childcare operations and create meaningful connections by providing technology, expertise, and unparalleled service.
Procare Solutions is the number 1 name in childcare software – used by more than 30,000 childcare businesses across the country. For over 30 years, childcare professionals have looked to Procare to provide real-time information for making critical decisions, maintaining compliance with local and state regulations, and adhering to business best practices.
We make childcare management run smoothly, so that our customers can spend more time focusing on the kiddos, not back office administrative duties.
A Little About the Role
The Sr. Database Administrator is responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, performance tuning, support, and recovery procedures for all corporate, private, and public cloud systems, with emphasis on Postgres and AWS. You will be one of our technical experts with the administration of complex systems and services and deliver world-class solutions to Procare’s internal and external customers. Additionally, you will contribute to architectural design of our AWS environments, ensuring scalability, stability, operational efficiency, and sustainability. You will be responsible for collaboration with our product development teams to ensure that databases meet performance expectations for our customers. To succeed in the role, you must be passionate and energetic to ensure our customers continuously experience top-notch performance while utilizing highly available, secure products. This role is best suited for a highly organized engineer with experience in a fast-paced, growing, and agile corporation.
What You Will Do
- Administers, troubleshoots, resolves problems, monitors, and conducts performance management and reporting. Responsibilities include design, administration, and monitoring of Postgres, MySQL, and SQL Server database systems.
- Support DevOps initiatives including, but not limited to, building pipeline support, test environment containerization support, and site reliability knowledge.
- Continually improve and be proactive to ensure effectiveness and efficiency of system performance using qualitative and quantitative measures.
- Detect, isolate, and resolve system issues encountered during operations. Additionally, provide documentation, new standards or procedures, and communication on any lessons learned post-incident.
- Establish baseline performance for key RDS metrics and ensure that alerts and monitors are sufficiently tuned to detect issues before customers are impacted.
- Act as a senior member of the Operations team, sharing knowledge and best practices.
- Participate in after-hours call coverage shared by team.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships across all stakeholder groups. Advise, influence, and support all teams to achieve goals.
- Supports the implementation, testing, and documentation of Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity initiatives for supported products across multiple AWS accounts.
- Works within the established and documented process for change management to build, test, and implement approved changes. Coordinates with development teams as applicable to test and integrate any changes with the regular release cadence for each product.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have
- 8+ years of IT experience as Database Administrator
- Strong knowledge of Postgres query planning and pl/pg SQL
- Strong database design, performance tuning skills
- Should have at least 1 year of experience with AWS, deploying and managing AWS RDS MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL instances
- Designs, documents, implements, and monitors backup of database and other database protection or high availability solutions such as replication, synchronization, and clustering
- Familiar with replication and clustering technologies for MS SQL database clusters in Hyper-V environment
- Familiar with 3rd party monitoring solutions like New Relic, SolarWinds DPA, and PRTG
- Experience in enforcing standards for user account, group, and database security and configuration for all production databases and for nonproduction databases
- Experience with heterogenous and/or homogenous migration of database: MS SQL to AWS etc.
- Ability to take full ownership of availability and security of production data
- Good exposure to at least one scripting language: shell scripts, Python, Perl
- Strong Communication skills (verbal and written) with an ability to work in a highly collaborative, multi-time zone environment
- Good organizational skills with the ability to track and prioritize numerous tasks
- Participate in 24x7x365 rotation as needed, to ensure availability of environments. Monitor performance to ensure that requirements are met.
- Excellent comprehensive benefits packages for full-time employees, including medical, dental, & vision plans- choose the plan best for you
- HSA option with employer contributions of $50/mo
- Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation FSA Plans
- Company paid Short and Long-Term disability and Life Insurance
- Vacation time, holidays, sick days, volunteer & personal days
- 401K Plan with employer match and immediate vesting
- RTD ECO-Pass for all Denver employees
- Tuition Reimbursement up to $2,000/year
- Casual workplace environment
- Prime downtown location close to restaurants and entertainment
- Promote from within
$100,000 - 140,000 DOE
This position is based in our downtown Denver office.
We are currently in a flexible hybrid in-office/remote working model based on local COVID-19 health regulations and business needs. While we are mainly working remotely now, this will eventually be an in-office position and candidates must be willing and able to (eventually) work from our downtown Denver office.