Senior Backend Engineer at Pie Insurance
| Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:42 a.m. (MST) on Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding
Pie is transforming small business insurance - starting with workers’ compensation. We are driven by our core values that guide every decision we make, the community we build, and the service we deliver to our small business customers. Like our small business customers, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
We are looking for Senior Software Engineers to build industry leading applications, enhance readability and performance of existing applications, and help to drive success within the development lifecycle. Collaborating with other world-class engineers, senior engineers look to design and develop applications that will be highly resilient, performant, and scalable. The Senior Engineer is a thought leader on the Engineering team, driving the team and their peers to engineering excellence.
What You’ll Be Doing
Embodying Pie's mission, vision, and values to foster a collaborative environment and excellence within their teamActing as a leader on the team to maintain accountability for the team’s tasks, goals, and responsibilitiesWorking with modern best practices in the microservice architecturesBuilding systems that are highly resilient, performant, and scalableDriving excellence in code bases owned by your team and by being an example for peers on your team by decomposing requirements into technical work units and possessing the appropriate domain knowledge to be able to identify edge cases or missed requirementsProviding an intuition in which to base design trade offs; knows when the right time to focus on certain architectural or design characteristics and emphasize others based on the goals of the projectPartnering constructively with Product and Design to evaluate opportunities and requirements by fostering cohesion within the squad to cultivate a healthy working environment with high degrees of trustActing as the tip of the spear for breaking through project impediments, being the one someone others on the team come to when they need help solving challenging problemsParticipating in cross-team engineering initiatives being led by a Staff or Principal engineersDriving innovation on their squad with a willingness to experiment and boldly confronting problems of immense complexity and scopeActively maintains systems owned by your team, identifying opportunities that will help mitigate future risk and improve system healthUtilizing and improving observability tools/practices, CD pipelines, and maintaining an awareness of how applications operate in a production context and their system resource utilization
The Right Stuff
- 5-8 years of industrial strength engineering development and delivery of large scale systems that had rigorous systemic quality requirements and/or delightful user interfaces
- Have created software design and can make appropriate trade-offs
- Deep understanding of open source frameworks and tools to shorten development efforts
- Have worked extensively in an Agile/SCRUM development methodology
- Have worked in CI/CD Environments
- Be a critical thinker, without over thinking
- Must be adaptable. We are a startup and you need to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- If you are a server-side developer you’ll need the following skills:
- Deep knowledge of procedural programming languages such as C# or Java, network protocols, specifically HTTP, and JSON. We are a .NET Core shop.
- Strong knowledge of NoSQL databases, specifically MongoDB, Web Sockets, messaging systems, specifically RabbitMQ.
- Ideally, developed RESTful APIs
- If you are more a user interface developer, you’ll need the following skills:
- API Integration Experience
- Experience creating applications using responsive design
- Competitive Salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Take-as-you-need PTO – Salaried
- 3 weeks paid vacation – Hourly
- 7 days of paid sick leave – Hourly
- Commute Allowance
- 401k Match
- Modern office space with onsite gym
- Monthly Happy Hours
- Generous Parental Leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie! That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience that you bring, along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $124,000- $180,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.