Senior Backend Engineer - Application Core Team at CircleCI
At CircleCI, we enable thousands of developers to do better work every day. We're looking for a senior software engineer to help us support and grow the backend systems that make it possible.
As a member of the Application Core team, you’ll own features and services that model users, permissions, organizations, and accounts in our systems (Contexts, for example). You’ll also design, build and manage our connections to upstream source code control systems. You’ll collaborate daily with talented colleagues distributed across North America and Europe.
This is a full-time role located anywhere in Ireland, and requires participation in our on-call support rotation.What you'll be doing:
- Design and build new features, simplify existing services, and scale our systems while we rapidly grow and evolve.
- Write plenty of sustainable, testable, high-quality, high-performance code.
- Nurture a culture of observability and monitoring: use operational data to help your team improve the stability and performance of our systems.
- Partner with members of a cross-functional team and other stakeholders to set the direction of our platform and product: learn about our business problems, explore solutions, weigh design tradeoffs, create effective user stories, and prioritize them to deliver maximum value.
- You have 3+ years of professional experience building and debugging distributed systems in production environments.
- You write code that’s easily readable, testable, and maintainable, with an eye towards building in observability from the start.
- You’re comfortable using functional programming paradigms. We use Clojure, but it’s fine if you haven’t yet.
- You’re good at managing the ambiguity of a small, rapidly-growing company: adjusting to changing priorities, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, and instituting best practices from scratch when needed.
- You can adopt a product first mindset to build quality software that meets the customer’s needs and expectations.
- You work transparently and collaboratively within a distributed team.
- You favor regular, incremental delivery of value over perfection.
- You’re excited about ensuring that all of our systems—software and human—scale smoothly.
- You strive for continuous learning and improvement for yourself and your team.
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and a cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (GitHub, Twitter, Stack, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E3 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.About CircleCI