Senior Back-End Engineer
Flytedesk is the full-service ad buying platform that is transforming college media by connecting brands and college students. As the largest media network of college students in the U.S., Flytedesk allows advertisers to reach 20 million students at scale across all on-campus media channels including print, digital, social media, radio, outdoor, and more. Using proprietary technology, Flytedesk’s self-serve platform automates the college advertising experience by giving media buyers the tools to create, book, manage, and measure national campaigns in just minutes. Flytedesk is a Techstars 2015 company and is based in Boulder, Colorado.
We’re looking for an experienced, driven, and highly-technical software engineer who wants to build crazy stuff from the ground up.
- You will design, code, test, and debug new and existing scalable features.
- You will become a go-to person for the growing team’s back end needs.
- You will play a key role in in greenfield project design, architecture, and development.
- You will collaborate with the front end team to design, build, and refactor APIs according to feature requirements.
- You will recommend new technologies and ideas to improve the performance and efficiency of the existing architecture.
- You will participate in agile planning and code reviews, hitting deadlines according to the predicted schedule.
- DevOps experience (AWS, Jenkins, Kubernetes, GitLab, Docker, Nginx / Apache, etc.)
- MySQL / NoSQL databases
- Linux system administration skills
- Experience with Application architecture and Systems architecture
- Academic Background in Computer Science (BS, MS)
- Prior experience with data structures and modeling
Backend: Laravel, Laravel Nova, Lumen, MySQL, Redis, PHP Unit, Composer, Nginx, Apache
Frontend: Vue.js (an SPA w/ Vue Router), Vuex, Jest, GraphQL, Tailwind CSS + PostCSS, ES6 w/ Babel, Webpack
DevOps: Docker (primarily Linux based images), GitHub, Jenkins (integrated w/ GitHub for automated push deployments), AWS (RDS w/ MySQL, Redis Cache Cluster, S3, ELB, Kubernetes on EKS), JIRA (also integrated w/ GitHub)
Our engineering and product team is small, but growing. You will work with Logan Graba (Software Engineer), Briley Sandlin (Front End Engineer), Kenzie Dennis (UI/UX Designer), and Andrew Casali (QA and Visual Designer).
You will report to Katy McNeill, our VP of Product, and Dan Newman, our Director of Engineering.
We hire people, not functions. Startups are hard, and constantly changing, so you need to be able to carve out your own role to thrive at Flytedesk. We look for self-starters who can problem-solve as well as they can execute. We look for grit and kindred spirits, we’re a family and we work for each other to get where we want to go. We don’t want to hire people who just fit into our culture, we want people who help shape it.
We’re asking you to spend a large portion of your life with us, so we want you to have a good time as you’re working hard to help build our collective future. That means endless snacks, a coffee shop house account, birthday parties, dogs in the office, and an expectation that we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Our culture is built on a small, but core, group of values. When we meet tension points, it’s easy to reference the following values and see what the right decision is. We make a point to call these out in our job descriptions because we’ve learned that someone whose values and motivations are aligned with Flytedesk’s will most likely be successful at Flytedesk (and vice versa). Please take the time to read and understand our values - they’re the biggest indicator if this is going to be a good match.
- Make it work - our biggest successes have come from doing things that couldn't be done, we are a collection of individuals who are willing to do what it takes
- Lean, rabid, hungry - we get excited at doing a lot with a little and are motivated by this mentality
- Remember why we started - Flytedesk was founded on the idea of empowering student journalism, every decision we make is for the benefit of the publishers we work with
- Growth as a goal - we put the team ahead of individual, are constantly asking better of ourselves and one another, and check our egos at the door to move the company forward
- Be all-in - to put it bluntly: this isn’t a job for people who aren’t 100% committed, being on the ground floor and in the trenches of a high-growth startup takes dedication to the cause
The Fine Print
- Salary DOE + stock options
- This is a full-time position
- This position is based out of our Boulder office
- Starting ASAP
- Flytedesk is an At-Will and Equal Opportunity Employer
- Health Insurance
- LTD and Workers Compensation insurance
- Work Macbook
- Untracked PTO and holiday paid time off
- Annual professional development budget
- Boulder office with rooftop deck, flatiron views, and thai place across the street
- RTD EcoPass for Boulder-based employees