At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
RF Engineer II – Radar Software and Logic
This engineering position reports to the manager of RF Solutions, primarily supporting the Tactical Solutions business unit of Ball.
What You’ll Do:
- Radar-related software logic development along with new business support; typically supporting more than one program at a time.
- Software system requirement evaluation, initial concept trade-off and development, in-house and customer presentations, travel, and technical proposal writing and cost/schedule estimating.
- Be responsible for the implementation and test of logic.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field.
- Contribute to the completion of specific programs and projects.
- Work under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Interface well with other people at all levels including customers, use initiative in applying solutions to assignments. Contribute to large teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units, and the rest of the company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level.
- Full competency in advanced radar processing chains, phenomenology, and general knowledge of radar systems.
- Current Secret security clearance, or higher, is required.
- Experience and skills to effectively contribute to successful producibility of designs and to cost, budget, and schedule control.
- Experience implementing signal/target CFAR based detectors.
- Experience with range/doppler ambiguity and resolution techniques such as the Chinese Remainder Theorem.
- Experience with target extraction (M of N, clustering or more advanced techniques).
- Understanding of basics of target tracking.
- Experience with basic concepts of Electronic Protection.
- Understanding of basics of target classification and ID (JEM lines, swerling types, etc.).
- Experience producing performance estimates through analytical analysis (theoretical equations) and simulations.
- Understanding of frequency domain representation (DFTs/FFTs) and dB values.
- Understanding of basics of antennas (gain, patterns, pattern measurement).
- Understanding of basics of antenna array theory.
- Understanding of basic concepts of antenna array digital beamforming.
- Understanding of Monopulse beam splitting and other array angle finding techniques.
- Understanding of basic concepts of signal-to-noise ratio, noise figure, and their effects on performance.
- Understanding of basics of RF modulation for radar and communications (e.g., FM, QPSK, pulse, chirp).
- Familiarity with RF link budgets and cascade analyses.
- Ability to work with MATLAB, Python (including NumPy), and C/C++.
- Familiarity with adaptive beam forming techniques preferred.
- Familiarity with Space Time Adaptive Processing techniques preferred.
- Experience working in an RF test environment (anechoic chambers, field testing, etc.) preferred.
- Experience testing with, or operating Radar systems preferred.
- Comfortability working in a fast-paced, rapid system prototyping environment preferred.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $104,500 - $129,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.