Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI CI Polygraph security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer II - Spacecraft Optical Telecommunications
This leadership position is for an experienced engineer or manager who can help the Telecommunications Subsystem Team build a new spaceborne communications paradigm. This position is 70% management and 30% technical.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop optical communication architectures to satisfy space-to-ground and space-to-space optical communication needs
- Establish strong vendor relationships for space qualified end-to-end optical communications subsystems
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships regarding optical comm capabilities
- Cost account manager and project engineer.
- Serve as program subsystem IPT Lead, providing leadership to team of up to 5 engineers and ensuring cost, schedule, and technical execution goals being met
- Communicate and collaborate with program and systems engineering leadership to accomplish mission objectives for telecommunications subsystems on space vehicles
- With technical support, manage subvendor performance to ensure the delivery of conforming hardware to be integrated as a communications subsystem.
- Prepare and manage hardware definition and interfaces. A strong hardware background is required.
- Extensive technical writing (Contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers regarding plans; subsystem design, development, risks, and opportunities; and status against established performance metrics
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret/SCI CI Polygraph security clearance is required.
- Minimum of 4 years of direct experience in Optical communication Comm Subsystem Design, Assembly, Integration, and Test preferred.
- An understanding of all aspects of planning, scheduling, hardware specifications, and interface control.
- Previous earned value management experience is desired.
- Experience in subcontract management.
- Experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Good oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Experience in multidisciplinary teamwork environment with small team leadership responsibilities.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.