Project Engineer II - Industrial Operations Lead at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Project Engineer II - Industrial Operations Lead
At Ball Aerospace’s Boulder & Broomfield Colorado locations, we develop and manufacture state of the art hardware for space-based applications. The Industrial Operations Lead is a dynamic role that is responsible for existing and future-state value stream capacity & capability in support of our National Defense and Civil Space Business Units (SBU). This opportunity requires a results-driven individual, with a relentless focus on maximizing customer value, and a demonstrated understanding and application of “Lean Manufacturing” as it applies to an organization’s purpose and operational system. The successful candidate will lead a team of Industrial Engineers that perform three major functions: 1) Future capacity analysis and planning, 2) Project manage facility expansions and capital equipment execution from requirements gathering thru validation, 3) Support continuous improvement efforts within the value streams via simulation modeling, value stream analysis, and factory layout/material flow design.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and evolve the team strategy and structure, using value as defined by the SBU customer as well as input from value stream team members, to scale the organization to meet business challenges.
- Lead a team of other like-minded industrial engineers, including creation and delivery of performance goals, objectives, and documenting performance to those goals through the performance review process. Mentorship, guidance, recognition and development of staff is expected.
- Develop a strong relationship with the internal customers to identify their value proposition(s). Collaborate with the operational team to design and execute a strategy that continuously aims to maximize customer value.
- Accountable to continuously monitor and quantify a dynamic factory capacity demand, comprised of low volume/high mix value streams, in support of both development and rate manufacturing.
- Participate in new business proposals to identify the effects of business growth on the factory.
- Accountable for a rolling 5-year capital equipment plan and 10-year Facility plan.
- Identify, justify, and manage the annual capital budget for Manufacturing & test Operations, in addition to Integrated Supply Chain. Accountable to execute the capital plan meeting schedule and budget expectations, and reporting status to stakeholders and executive management.
- Mentor and grow team members on critical capabilities required of our Industrial Engineering team. These capabilities include value stream thinking and analysis, queueing theory/analysis, complex software simulations, project management, and strategic & tactics planning.
- Generate a strong relationship and work closely with the SBU Director staff ensuring business strategy is seamless with infrastructure and process strategy.
- Maintain an intense focus and continuous presence where the work is performed. Take daily Gemba walks, go and see to gather the facts, and develop a deep and thorough understanding of the process and facts.
- Influence others with a Lean coaching approach (respect for people, “go and see” behavior, put problems first, and continuously intensify collaboration).
- Be accountable, drive accountability within the organization, and put problems first with a sense of urgency.
- Provide strong leadership and remove obstacles for a team of Industrial engineers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Industrial Engineering preferred.
- An active, current TS/SCI clearance is required.
- A purposeful and proven Industrial Engineering skillset that demonstrates a strong aptitude for simulation modeling, queueing analysis, value stream analysis, and project management.
- An innate ability to see the “big picture” promoting long-term thinking and planning, yet capable of zooming in on tactics and actions to lead and align efforts.
- Experience developing and maintaining strong customer relationships, establishing a deep understanding of their environment, and generating a clear understanding of the challenges they face.
- A systems approach mindset to Lean Manufacturing and Lean Product & Process Development, focusing on people, process, and tools.
- A creative approach to problem solving and an appetite for experimentation.
- A problem-solving endurance that persists in the wake of initial setbacks.
- Experience aligning and influencing fellow employees without direct functional responsibilities.
- Strong presentation skills to communicate with senior leadership.
- An innate mentality that seeks dynamic gains over static optimizations.
- A strong focus on the horizontal flow of value across several supporting organizations.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading projects and/or teams.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration, recognition of individuals strengths and areas for improvement, and an ability to manage misalignment between individuals and/or groups.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $128,500 - $162,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.