Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer II - Ground Systems Development Lead
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and manage ground systems development efforts and teams.
- Set the strategy for program optimal organization for the ground systems development.
- Establish, develop and maintain strong relationships with Engineering peers, internal stakeholders, and external customers.
- Provide management of principal staff on Integrated Product Teams (IPT) and Ground System Engineer (GSE) Leads.
- Support proposal development for remote sensing end to end solutions.
- Track program performance.
- Establish customer needs and develop them into Business/Technical Requirements, establishing scope budget and schedule parameters to execute projects.
- Manage ground system development and subcontracts for software and hardware integration.
- Face-to-face interaction with customers and contractors to respond to requests for information, support to technical meetings, technical interchanges and enterprise working groups.
- Develop contracts and support plans for Spacecraft Engineers and Online Operations Engineers
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, and Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in technology management and systems development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ground systems for spacecraft operations.
- Demonstrated subcontract management of large, complex aerospace systems to include cost-plus type contractual vehicles.
- Cost Account Manager (CAM) experience on full Earned Value Management (EVMS) compliant contracts.
- Demonstrated successful system engineering of ground systems development efforts including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Proven track record in management of design & development tasks as an integrated product team lead or Chief Engineer leading cross functional teams.
- Resource and Cost management: Management of IPT resources and costs, and subsequent performance reporting of each area.
- Expert in using tools and metrics to manage development activity, including EVMS and IMS.
- Expert in Schedule and Risk management.
- Experience with Software Development Plans and Software Standards.
- Experience in mission management, flight dynamics, or command & control domains.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly come up to speed on technical and management efforts currently underway.
- Knowledge of related disciplines in software engineering, hardware engineering, integration, test engineering, quality engineering, configuration/data management.
- Experience in developing specifications, design and analysis, documentation, and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong written communication skills, oral presentation skills, and an ability to lead group discussions.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.