Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer II - Functional Group Lead – Launch Segment
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee all resources to manage the Ball Aerospace Launch Segment team.
- Foster a team first atmosphere that rewards collaborative performance while still promoting individual growth paths.
- Support LSI candidate hiring selection process, assign appropriate staff to programs, conduct performance assessments and personnel actions, support salary reviews, recognition programs, and ensure group has the appropriate processes in place to meet the needs of programs and compliance with approved standards.
- Ensure talent and skill mix of the group are in sync with the needs of programs and new business development opportunities.
- Ensure staff is appropriately trained to meet the needs of programs as well as employee career goals.
- Communicate relevant management and company information to department.
- Maintain, and as needed, create infrastructure of LSI domain knowledge and processes.
- Support launch segment concept development for new business proposal activities.
- In a player/coach role (75%/25%):
- Support launch segment concept development to include requirements definition, flow-down, development, verification, and interfaces to other segments
- Develop, document, and implement technical data/requirements and all deliverables required for launch segment operations
- Interface externally with the space segment provider
- Interface internally with Launch Mission Manager and Engineering/ATLO Groups
- Provide single Point of Contact at Ball Aerospace for launch system interface definition, and implementation
- Coordinate interface with Ball Systems Safety and launch site Range Safety
- Coordinate launch site materials, consumables, and training (propellant, purge gas, SCAPE).
- Support technical writing (proposal development, contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Minimum of 5 years direct experience in Launch Services/Engineering management with a solid understanding of specifications, interface control, launch integration activities.
- Experience with defining, developing, and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Applicants will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.