Project Engineer I - Ground Software Lead at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer I – Ground Software Lead
What You’ll Do:
- Perform as Chief Product Owner in an Agile work environment using AWS cloud.
- Lead Software team, manage risks, and remove roadblocks.
- Work closely with product managers and story owners to design features and prioritize tasks.
- Assemble releases, manage software development content, and drive improvements in release processes by content prioritization and other Agile development methodologies.
- Work with program SEIT in ensuring proper systems engineering and systems test.
- Ensure adherence to Software Development Plans and Software Standards.
- Support Software Configuration Control Boards (CCB) and Engineering Review Boards (ERB).
- Analyze and implement key program interface documents.
- Perform trade studies, performance analyses, and risk management.
- Support the creation, refinement, and implementation of program training materials required for the education and instruction of the program users and operators.
- Oversee and guide the management of requirements – allocation, verification, and validation.
- Provide leadership / mentorship of technical teams to define, direct implementation, and operate complex mission systems which include spacecraft, instruments, and ground systems.
- Provide engineering support across multiple and diverse collection scenarios by developing concepts to meet customer mission needs.
- Develop software engineering execution plans – schedules, staffing, and cost.
- Develop metrics to evaluate concepts that represent mission utility for the customer.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers/management/customers, especially executive level management.
- Support technical proposal development as needed.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ground systems for spacecraft operations.
- Resource and Cost management: Management of IPT resources and costs, and subsequent performance reporting of each area.
- Experience using tools and metrics to manage development activity, including EVMS and IMS.
- Experience in Schedule and Risk management.
- Experience with Software Development Plans and Software Standards.
- Support teams by answering questions and solving problems.
- Maintain rapport with software team through solid technical communication, motivation.
- Active practitioner of software development lifecycle concepts: Agile, DevSecOps, Continuous Integration (CI), and Continuous Deployment (CD) making use of Jenkins, test automation, and other tools.
- Experience with satellite data analysis, data exploitation algorithms, and/or data processing systems.
- Cost Account Manager (CAM) experience on full Earned Value Management (EVMS) compliant contract desired.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with and communicate with all levels of management and individual contributors on the program team.
- Knowledge of related disciplines in software engineering, hardware engineering, integration, test engineering, quality engineering, configuration/data management.
- Strong software development background.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle models and program lifecycle models.
- Proven written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.