Principal Thermal Fluids Sub-System Engineer- Contractor
Greater Denver Area
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
As the Principal Thermal Fluids Sub-System Engineer at Boom, you will direct all system architecture research around thermal management, fuel, hydraulics, pneumatics, and ECS activities during the conceptual development stage of a commercial supersonic airliner. This is primarily a strategic role with influence at the tactical level across all aircraft systems engineers and multiple resources in other aircraft disciplines. This position will also manage a small team.
This position will develop and manage extensible processes, schedules, and budgets to support the effective execution of work within the organization.
The ideal candidate is proficient in the design, analysis, and manufacture of sophisticated aircraft systems, has supported certification efforts of 14 CFR Part 23 or 25 aircraft, and has contributed to a development program from initial concept through certification flight test.
Examples of projects this position would be accountable for include hydraulic systems, fuel systems, pneumatic systems, electrical power systems, and the mechanical design of actuated components.
- Review daily analysis progress and advise on the next course of action and set clear expectations for success
- Research in detail, form guidance, and write position papers on aircraft system architectures and their applicability to a commercial supersonic airliners
- Work in conjunction with the propulsion team to establish clear power budgets, margins, and risks for each power extraction method from the aircraft power plant
- Establish working baselines for each aircraft system with limited information, challenge those baselines as new information is available, and update accordingly
- Lead the full vehicle thermal conceptual analysis effort
- Work with Boom’s Sub Systems Engineering team to structure and lay out the aircraft system requirements at a conceptual level
- Bachelor’s in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or similar
- 10+ years experience in aircraft systems design, analysis, and integration; participated in at least one aircraft program from initial concept through certification flight test
- 7+ years experience in a leadership/supervisory role
- Demonstrated success developing and managing program schedule and budget
- Contributed to the successful certification effort of 14 CFR Part 23 or 25 aircraft
- Experience with modeling and simulation of physical systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with at least one CAD system
- Experience with the creation and execution of system test plans
- Experience developing and refining system level requirements from formal and informal sources
- Experience with full life cycle of aircraft system development including design, integration, and test
- Excellent communication skills; easily interfaces with different engineering groups and manufacturing
- Demonstrated success hiring and developing high-performing talent
It would be great if you had
- Experience working with an engine supplier on systems/powerplant interfaces
- Experience with full vehicle thermal analysis
- Experience with full authority digital flight controls for certified aircraft
- Demonstrated success solving ambiguous problems with limited resources and guidance
- Advanced degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or similar
- Knowledge/ability to teach advanced design and/or analysis techniques
- Demonstrated success leading teams of 20+ high-performing engineers
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description