Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Systems Engineer – Ground Systems
Ground Systems Engineer in support of requirements, design, analysis, test and operation of space vehicles and ground systems for commercial, DoD and NASA customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Support design, development, integration and testing of ground system.
- Apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts of ground systems and understanding of how ground fits within overall mission.
- Be competent in mission or space field, including ground, and responsible for producibility of designs, and for cost, budget, and schedule constraints for self and others. Recognized as an expert in ground with program life cycle experience.
- Develop advanced technological ideas and guides their development into a final product and ground systems design and development including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Work under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range goals and objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior.
- Work on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
- Be effective in working with people at all levels and with outside customers. Be able and willing to contribute wherever and however needed and provide leadership and guidance to program activities and senior level people.
- Understand the ground system and the role it plays within overall segment, mission and enterprise.
- Support and help lead the development of ground segment system engineering architecture/design.
- Perform requirements decomposition, use case development, and trace artifacts to architecture constructs.
- Support and help lead requirements decomposition activities which includes the establishment of verification attributes (Verification Test method, level, approach, success criteria, and Test Requirements).
- Oversee and guide the management of ground segment requirements – allocation, verification, and validation.
- Support and help lead Interface definition development and documentation in the form of ICD.
- Analyze and implement key program interface documents by tracing to ground requirements and design.
- Support and help lead trade studies, performance analyses, risk and opportunity assessments.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers/management/customers.
- Support and help lead program gates as defined by customer, such as the System Requirements Review (SRR), Preliminary Design Review (PDR) and Critical Design Review (CDR).
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Knowledge of related disciplines in software engineering, hardware engineering, integration, test engineering, quality engineering, configuration/data management.
- Strong experience of systems engineering roles and functions, including operations concept development, requirements management, functional analysis, interface definition and control, synthesis, and/or verification and validation.
- Strong Experience in developing SEMP, specifications, ICDs, architecture, use case, and other ground CDRLs and artifacts.
- Experience in mission management, command & control, mission data processing, ground terminal and infrastructure.
- Experience with supporting various test milestone like Test Readiness Review (TRR), Factory or Site Acceptance Test (FAT/SAT); Security milestones like Interim Authority to Test (IATT), Authority to Operate (ATO); Ground sell off milestones like Ground Completion Review (GCR).
- Experience with any ground or mission integration including operations readiness activities, rehearsals and launch support activities.
- Experience with Risk Management Framework (RMF) and Information Assurance (IA) in developing ground systems.
- Experience with ground HW like FEPs, Cryptos along with various platforms or infrastructure to host ground system.
- Strong experience with Agile software development methodologies and principles preferred.
- Experience of Continuous Integration and Continuous Development (CICD) principles with security requirements be part of design and development phase as part of practicing DevSecOps on program.
- Experience in cloud development environment preferred.
- Experience with requirements management tool like DOORS preferred.
- Experience with Model Base Systems Engineering (MBSE) and UML diagrams (Class Diagrams, Sequence of Events Diagrams, and Activity Diagrams) preferred.
- Experience with Atlassian Tools such as Confluence and Jira preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.