Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The principal state estimation engineer will help architect and lead localization & state estimation efforts for Outrider’s fully electric, autonomy solution to automate freight yards.
We are looking for someone who knows how to build state estimation solutions from the ground up to help us solve an integral pillar to deploy our system into production. The ideal candidate will know the nuances of ground vehicle state estimation and how to build that solution for Outrider’s use case. We are tackling this with a cutting edge sensor suite including LIDARs, vision, encoders, and inertial sensors.
This role is ideal for someone who wants to be a part of a small, impactful organization pushing use case focus autonomy into the mainstream. We are a team of builders who are passionate about start to finish production oriented development and taking our research into the real world.
Duties and responsibilities
- Drive the full software development cycle for the localization, mapping, and calibration of our perception system as we build the next generation of autonomous vehicles
- Take responsibility for leading efforts to formulate, implement, and evaluate localization, mapping, and calibration algorithms.
- Stay informed about cutting edge best practices and implementation
- Own a mission critical piece of our system to deliver autonomous systems into production
- MS or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience building production level C++ software for robotics applications in linux environments
- Deep understanding of linear algebra, geometry, and probability
- Experience performing sensor fusion with LIDARs, RADARs, cameras, GNSS and IMU
- Experience with Kalman filters, bundle adjustment or factor graph optimization
- Curious/analytical nature and desire to build
- PhD with publications related to state estimation
- Previous experience with autonomous vehicles
- Leadership experience in robotics applications
- Deep understanding of ROS
- Exposure to safety critical development
- Experience in building from scratch high accuracy and mission critical state estimation components with proven outdoor performance across a wide variety of operational conditions.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary range of $110,000 - $180,000. For benefits, check this out!