Principal Software Systems Engineer at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Software Systems Engineer
Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a results-oriented Software Systems Engineer to perform high-level architectural designs for complex software systems. This position consists of engineering top-level software solutions, decomposing high-level requirements into lower-level software requirements and designs, collaborating with software developers and inter-disciplinary teams, and guiding programs through all execution phases.
What You´ll Do:
- Architect mission software solutions for aerospace, avionics and related tactical systems.
- Perform requirements flow down from high level specifications and create derived software requirements for the development team.
- Define interfaces to software systems by working closely with other disciplines like electrical and mechanical engineering.
- Plan, coordinate, and manage full software life cycle functions across mission segments, with an emphasis on requirements, architecture, design, and documentation.
- Conduct research, gather information (including interfacing with internal and external customers) interpret data, create and propose solutions.
- Engage with customers and management to gain understanding, trust, and buy-in.
- Form, lead, motivate, and manage small to medium size teams of software developers.
- Provide technical leadership on software development projects.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You´ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in conducting and documenting high-level trade studies and advocating for buy-in from stakeholders.
- Experience across all software development lifecycle stages, from business development through maintenance.
- Experience with formal requirements management practices and related tools (e.g. Rational DOORS).
- Experience in designing, developing, and testing software for operational systems using programming languages such as C/C++, Ruby/Python and other languages/applications.
- Understanding of real-time operating systems and the principles of embedded software development.
- Experience with formal software development practices including the use of software version control, coding standards and style guides.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.