Invitae (NYSE: NVTA) is a leading medical genetics company trusted by millions of patients and their providers to deliver timely genetic information using digital technology. We aim to provide accurate and actionable answers to strengthen medical decision-making for individuals and their families. Invitae's genetics experts apply a rigorous approach to data and research, serving as the foundation of their mission to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people.
This is an engineering role in our Customer Experience Engineering team, which develops user applications for our patient and clinician customers. As a Principal Software Engineer, you are encouraged to own and deliver projects with multiple collaborators, identify novel solutions to open-ended and ambiguous problems, and work across teams and subject areas to deliver software features that drive measurable business outcomes with a well-planned technical roadmap and timely execution. You will develop the abilities of less experienced team members by demonstrating sound technical decision-making, generative teamwork and communication skills, and software development practices that improve the team and organization.
You will be working on high profile projects that are in flight, with the expectation that you will quickly absorb platform architecture and application layers. You will work closely with other senior engineers on these projects, with close collaboration with the teams building software in our Labs. Your ability to implement enterprise software patterns and quality with autonomy within the context of this team is critical.
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement software components, systems, and features for major in-flight initiatives
- Work with product and design teams to ensure user-centric development
- Handle individual project priorities, deadlines, and work aligned with the Customer Experience Platform’s roadmap
- Participate in on-call rotations
- Understand customer requirements and translate those into reliable and scalable system designs
- Help level up the team through mentorship and training on design techniques and coding standards
- Raise the technical bar for how we develop complex, scalable, and reliable systems
- Build clarity out of ambiguous and complex problems
- Advocate for engineering excellence and communicate the benefits of standard methodologies to the team
What you bring:
- Typically with 15+ years with a minimum of 8+ years in senior technical roles influencing customer outcomes
- Proven ability to design and deliver complex and maintainable software systems and features
- Ability to communicate how engineering system design relates to company outcomes
- Experience balancing operations, maintenance, and new projects in a pragmatic way
- Deep technical knowledge around web application architectures, protocols, APIs, and developer tools
- Proven experience working with distributed, highly available systems
- Proficiency in a technical stack from infrastructure to application code. We use AWS, Python / Kotlin / Typescript / React.JS on Kubernetes
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills especially across distributed teams
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We truly believe a diverse workplace is crucial to our company's success and to better serve our diverse patients. Your input is especially valuable. We’d greatly appreciate it if you can take a quick moment to make your selection(s) below. Submissions will be anonymous.
You can find a detailed explanation of our privacy practices here.