Principal Engineer at Havenly
At Havenly, we’re making the delight of a beautiful home accessible to all. Through our proprietary technology and our team of talented designers, we make designing and shopping for your home, fun, personal, and easy.
Havenly was built on the mission that everyone deserves a beautiful home that they love. In these uncertain times, where people are spending more and more time at home, we know our mission is more important than ever. We’re hiring engineers who can help us build the products and services that truly drive value for consumers, helping them turn their space into a home they love. We make decisions based on data. We leverage modern engineering technology and machine learning all with the goal of building the most delightful offering for our clients. This has resulted in an incredibly successful, growing business. We’ve come a long way but believe we’re only scratching the surface of this opportunity.
As a principal engineer at Havenly, you will be a steward of our architecture, operations, scale, and security. You will architect, design, code, and review platforms that support the company’s vision. You will work to make our systems efficient, your fellow developers productive, and our deliverables trustworthy. You will look outward as well as inward, aligning our executive team and product strategy with changes in technology, and help us create an innovative culture where we are agents of those changes.
While you need to be strategic in your thinking, this is also very much a “hands-on” job - we are all executors. You should be able to dive deep into code and implement complex problems with simple solutions. You must be willing to operate without boundaries and be able and willing to fix problems anywhere you find them - in testing, deployment, operations, growth, or strategy, as much as in development and architecture. You must be able to care about a single line of code as much as the company’s vision and strategic investments.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Design, develop, deploy, and operate technical systems and their architecture. Identify opportunities to improve existing systems/workflows for performance, simplicity, accuracy, and usability..
- Coach and mentor engineers by asking the right question, drawing the right diagram, and leading from the front.
- Ensure the team’s clarity on project requirements, build effective technical project roadmaps and plans, and ship high-quality products.
- Review all feature designs within your product area and across the company for cross-cutting projects. Own the security, safety, scale, operational integrity, and architectural clarity of these designs.
- Promote engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement. Participate and steer operational reviews and hold both ICs and managers accountable for improvements. Advocate for improving the customer experience created by our architecture and code outcomes.
- Help with leadership recruiting efforts for hiring senior engineers and managers.
- Steer the team's goals and help guide the technical direction of the company. Partner with the CTO to review and make judgments involving complex technical topics.
- Understand the trends within the company and in the industry at large. Call out problematic ideas and give appropriate constructive push-back to engineers, managers, and executives.
- Help the company avoid problematic technologies, designs, and business outcomes.
- Debug difficult technical problems, and make systems and products work better and easier to deploy, own, operate and diagnose.
- Deliver technical and process changes to help the company move fast.
- Be scrappy, and make complex problems into simple solutions.
- Solid technical skills for design and coding
- Deep understanding of full stack technologies and best practices (React, Typescript, GraphQL, and AWS a plus)
- 10+ years developing and architecting web based applications at scale
- Experience with the latest technologies and technology trends (docker, graphQL, ETLs)
- Ability to reason between available technologies, putting aside personal preference, and provide guidance to the CTO on best one(s) to move the business forward
- MS/BS in Computer Science or a related technical field a plus
- 10+ years of experience providing technical leadership and direction for software engineering and development
- The ability to inspire other team members with their technical expertise, a relentless drive for getting things done, and a strong desire to foster knowledge sharing.
- Experience setting a strong vision and roadmap for the team and able to execute on it through leading by example.
- Ability to drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade-offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to the product experience.
- Experience growing and mentoring engineers on the team.
- Ability to continuously encourage team members to come up with ideas and the ability to execute on those ideas.
- Desire to work with an ambitious team in a fast-paced environment
- It’s challenging- You get the opportunity to work hard, learn a ton, and grow your skillset. This is not a 9-5 job, we have high expectations, and every day you’ll be faced with new challenges where you have to figure out how to put one foot in front of the other and move forward.
- It’s fulfilling - We get the opportunity to affect one of the most personal aspects of someone's life, their home, every single day. We feel really lucky to be able to create spaces where people feel comfortable, make lifetime memories in, and call home.
- It’s fun - We truly love what we do. Growing a business is fun. Working with a team of incredibly talented people who also love what they do is fun. Getting to do what you love to do and make an impact is fun.
If this sounds like it would be a great fit, we'd love to hear from you. Please complete your application online by answering the questions as well as including both a resume and cover letter.