Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Spacecraft Systems Engineer
Spacecraft Engineering is looking for a Spacecraft Systems Engineer with a background in either systems engineering or any of the spacecraft subsystem areas (Thermal, ADCS, EPDS, CDH, Telecomm, FSW, Structures, Mechanisms) to help maintain the Ball Spacecraft Product Line and support business development activities.
What You’ll Do
- Work in and/or lead a team, rapidly iterate and eventually produce conceptual spacecraft designs to meet customer mission needs.
- Sometimes work with customers to define mission-level con-ops and system requirements.
- Define and derive spacecraft-level requirements, often with little guidance from customers.
- Conduct subsystem and system-level trade studies, including make/buy options.
- Evaluate and assess current and innovative aerospace components and subsystems to identify potential suppliers for the future Ball Spacecraft Lines.
- Become proficient in subsystem areas outside current expertise, making use of Ball SMEs and training opportunities.
- Perform subsystem-level analyses and produce data products such as mass equipment lists, mass properties reports, propellant budgets, and thermal analyses/assessments, RF link budgets, power budgets, concept of operations.
- Create and present viewgraphs describing spacecraft subsystems, eventually with awareness and ability to optimize presentations for specific customers and audiences.
- Execution-Leadership Balance: the initial effort will consist of engineering execution with an eventual transition to leadership of the engineering design teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience with CAD (preferably Solid Works) is strongly desired
- An enthusiasm to embrace the concepts of design-to-cost, lean operations, agile work flow.
- Willingness to learn from others, be open to design solutions not their own.
- Excellent communication skills in the team environment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Future Clearance Required:
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.