Principal Engineer - Space Vehicle Systems Integration & Test Engineer
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Engineer – Space Vehicle Systems Integration & Test Engineer
Join the Space Vehicle Systems Engineering, Integration & Test team at Ball Aerospace - a diverse group of motivated problem solvers. We're excited about the challenging projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities regardless of skill level and experience, we're looking to engage and develop leaders who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence.
We're seeking an action-oriented engineer with intellectual curiosity who is excited to put their potential to use leading teams and testing space vehicle hardware.
As a Principal Engineer, you will work closely with, and be mentored by, experts in the field. You may have the opportunity to lead a small-satellite space vehicle AI&T effort, lead the subsystem AI&T on a large space-vehicle program, support early program planning and proposal efforts, and mentor early-career engineers.
What You’ll Do
- Work in a fast-paced team environment assisting to integrate and test spacecraft hardware.
- Generate, interpret, implement, and monitor test requirements from system, detail design, and contract specifications.
- Write, review, update, and implement assembly, integration and test plans and procedures.
- Define GSE systems to support a space vehicle test campaign.
- Lead test teams and assist in mentoring other test engineers.
- Support requirements verification planning.
- Leverage and expand their detailed understanding of spacecraft subsystems and their operation.
- Support space vehicle launch and commissioning campaigns.
- Prepare technical documentation and give presentations to peers, management, and external customers and partners.
- Collaborate with system and subsystem engineers, mission assurance, technicians, and other program personnel.
- Use test and measurement equipment to test and troubleshoot spaceflight hardware.
- Write, review, update, and execute test procedures and scripts.
- Maintain test logs and generate test reports.
What You’ll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in the testing of spacecraft, space vehicles, and their related components and systems is desired.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills is desired.
- Experience with the use of test and measurement equipment for testing and troubleshooting is required.
- A strong attention to detail while appreciating the bigger picture of the complex and ambitious projects that we take on at Ball.
- A desire to work hands-on with critical space-flight hardware.
- Knowledge and test experience using test automation applications and tools such as LabVIEW is desirable.
- Strong scripting experience or programming knowledge is desirable.
- Candidate should have good interpersonal skills the ability to contribute to the success of small teams through excellent teamwork.
- Superb writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Experience with simulator/hardware test development and execution, as well as mission operations is a plus.
- Effective in small teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Customer Relationships: Knowledge/experience working with customers and matching needs with cost and schedule requirements.
- Top candidates will be goal oriented individuals with excellent organizational skills, a team mindset, and capable of coming up to speed quickly on assigned programs.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Future Clearance Required:
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $135,000 - $170,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.