Principal Engineer, Process Innovation - (Relocation Available)
Do you want to work for a world-leading manufacturer who strives to build a better future through sustainability and innovation? Are you looking for a new challenge in a stable, fast-growing sector?
Join us, and build your career by helping us build the future.
We are a global leader in sustainable products with more than 21,000 team members worldwide. From infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles, to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe. We produce all these incredible things with one unique purpose: crafting a better community, a better society, a better world.
Moreover, each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging. And everyone at Ball is an everyday champion, making a difference by doing what we love.
We lead with our heads and our hearts and combine innovative thinking with a spirit of resiliency that keeps us moving forward in a relentless pursuit of new ways to make life, and the world, better. Whether we’re developing packaging that’s infinitely recyclable or aerospace innovations. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
Relocation is available for this opportunity!
Primary purpose of the position:
Develops and implements new technologies to achieve step change improvements in cost, efficiency, flexibility and sustainability in beverage container manufacturing processes. Coordinates communication efforts around new process innovations to address identified gaps and develop globally consistent implementation plans.
Essential Responsible Areas:
- Drives the front end of process innovation, ensuring that the global process development pipeline reflects industry trends and future needs.
- Leads advanced, innovative emerging technology initiatives to develop the next generation of digital manufacturing technologies (Machine Learning, IoT, Industry 4.0, AI, robotics, Big Data, etc.).
- Delivers operational improvements by applying digital manufacturing technologies and data-driven decision making to improve quality, increase flexibility, improve asset utilization, and support sustainability across global operations.
- Ensures appropriate follow up on process innovation projects with engineering / operations teams during development cycle, to drive clearly defined innovation priorities for global technology implementation.
- Build, grow, and manage supplier networks and external resources to generate new process designs and validate process performance.
- Ability to manage customer relationships to generate new process designs and validate process performance in plant manufacturing lines.
- Create packages for operations & engineering to optimize implementation and minimize operational issues in the plant environment – often requires support/collaboration in creating / editing quality test methods, SOP’s, EHS documentation, etc.
- Makes use of analytical and statistical evaluation tools to assess process improvement performance.
- Project Management / Stage Gate
- Innovation focused; Project charter creation and test-planning
- Organization of timelines, resources & costs
- Cost model development and analyses
- Generate and present data summaries and reports on project status, outcomes, and formal recommendations.
- Use financial modelling tools to combine and compare new processes including evaluation of capital equipment, support equipment, installation, and material usage.
Region and Global Specific Responsible Areas: Works closely with global/regional teams, key subject matter experts, suppliers and varied corporate contributors to drive the global process innovation pipeline. Responsible for bringing ideas from concept to feasibility and working closely with regional and global engineering and operations on commercial implementation.
Position Requirement & competencies:
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or relevant job related experience
- Job related experience for 10+ years in engineering, IT, or project management.
- Experience in manufacturing environment and data analytics preferred.
- Working and/or expert knowledge of the following areas: Data analysis, cloud computing, data networking, robotics, artificial intelligence, machine learning,
- Experience in relevant manufacturing processes including metal forming, chemical cleaning, waste water treatment, printing, coating operations, data analytics, automation, and/or robotics
- Experience in creation, organization, and management of new process implementation including technical project management
- Experience in interacting with external suppliers to generate new process designs and validate performance in plant implementation
- Excellent skills in building interpersonal relationships, team building, leadership, and teamwork within and outside of Ball
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified project evaluation and management techniques in order to effectively work with a wide variety of groups, audiences, and technologies
- Able to work independently, identify problems and develop solutions
- Ability to overcome roadblocks by enabling others with clear communication, troubleshooting, and at times simply propping up others where needed
- Ability to lead small teams and engage/motivate others
- Independently possesses clear focus and will to drive stakeholders and suppliers for milestones and solutions
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and be flexible in a fast paced, changing environment
- Able to create implementation packages for Engineering for new process designs, including creation of quality specs, test methods, SOPs, and EHS documentation
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Strong understanding of statistical principles
- Strong business acumen skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with outstanding follow through skills
- Experience working with geographically dispersed engineering and operations teams a plus
- Occasional travel as needed
- Working knowledge of Engineering principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures
- Knowledge of high speed manufacturing processes
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $86,500-$132,000 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click "Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans