Principal Engineer - Mission Architect, Resiliency at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capability Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Engineer - Mission Architect, Resiliency
Join the Mission Systems Engineer, Integration & Test (SEIT) team at Ball Aerospace - a diverse group of motivated problem solvers. We like to have fun and enjoy life - both at work, and in our free time. We're excited about the challenging projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities at all levels of skill and experience, we're looking for leaders and innovators who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence, while helping to define the future of Ball.
We're seeking an independent, action-oriented engineer to lead proposal and early-phase study efforts for the entire program lifecycle, including concept, design, requirement development, implementation, and launch.
You'll work up-front on multiple projects with our new business teams to define the future architectures, systems, and technological needs.
You'll help define the strategic needs of the company, to grow and adapt to these diverse cutting-edge opportunities and the missions of tomorrow.
This is a challenging, fast-paced job which will be exciting and highly gratifying for the successful candidate.
Make a difference. Love what you do. Realize your full potential.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and utilize technical trades studies to define resilient space system architectures, this includes:
- Identification, protection against, and mitigation of external threats where threats include kinetic, directed energy, and cyber.
- Designing and evaluating mitigation strategies including system and vehicle CONOPS, hardware and software design choices, detection methodologies, and system hardening for vehicle and payloads.
- Assessing mission impact of external threats and associated mitigation strategies.
- Knowledge of customer approaches and sensitivities to resiliency issues.
- Candidate will preferably have mission/system-level perspective as well as more detailed knowledge of relevant strategies.
- Provide engineering support across multiple and diverse new business pursuits by developing concepts to meet customer mission needs.
- Develop strong customer relationships, understand customer needs, and connect needs with Ball's technology roadmap during capture and execution. Establish and nurture necessary industry partnerships to effectively compete for and execute programs.
- Mentor other systems engineers.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management, and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capability Units, and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Demonstrated experience in systems engineering to include Architecture Development, Performing Trade Studies, MBSE, and CONOPS development.
- Experience architecting and developing resiliency approaches to space systems.
- Experience developing spacecraft.
- Experience with electro-optics and/or photonics systems.
- Experience with satellite ground systems.
- Customer Relationships: Knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas.
- Superb presentation skills with experience to senior decision making and technical audiences.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $145,000 - $183,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.