Principal Engineer - Ground Software Systems Architect at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area, CO)
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Engineer - Ground Software Systems Architect
The Engineering Support Unit at Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a results-oriented Software Systems Engineer to perform high-level architectural designs for complex software ground systems. This position consists of engineering top-level software solutions, decomposing high-level requirements into lower-level software requirements and designs, collaborating with software developers and inter-disciplinary teams, and guiding programs through all execution phases
What You'll Do:
- Architect mission software solutions for ground systems.
- Perform requirements flow down from high level specifications and create derived software requirements for the development team.
- Plan, coordinate, and manage full software life cycle functions across mission segments, with an emphasis on requirements, architecture, design, and documentation.
- Conduct research, gather information (including interfacing with internal and external customers) interpret data, create, and propose solutions.
- Develop and oversee continuous integration pipeline.
- Design using model-based system engineering.
- Understand and guide security and information assurance requirements.
- Engage with customers and management to gain understanding, trust, and buy-in.
- Lead, motivate, and provide technical leadership to software development teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or related technical field plus 12 or more years related experience is required.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
- Experience with formal requirements management practices and related tools (e.g., Rational DOORS or JAMA).
- Experience in conducting and documenting high-level trade studies and advocating for buy-in from stakeholders.
- Experience in designing, developing, and testing software for systems using programming languages such as C/C++, Ruby/Python, and other languages/applications.
- Experience with modern architectures such as messaging architectures, event-driven architectures, and microservice architectures.
- Agile development methodologies.
- Experience developing CI/CD pipelines.
- Knowledge and experience applying DevSecOps concepts.
- Experience with modern software development practices including the use of software version control, coding standards and style guides.
- Experience across all software development lifecycle stages, from business development through maintenance.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience designing interfaces to software systems by working closely with other disciplines like electrical and mechanical engineering preferred.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $150,000 - $189,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.