Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Pricipal Engineer– Cryogenic Systems
What You’ll Do:
- Thermal design, analysis and use of flight cryogenic systems and/or ground support equipment including cryocoolers, cryoradiators and dewars from concept through detailed design.
- Participate in cryogenic system technology assessment.
- Work with Systems Engineering, Integration and Test, Mechanical, Electrical and other engineering disciplines in the development and flow down of system level requirements, cryogenic system concepts, trade studies, architectures, and plans for verification/validation of aerospace hardware.
- Develop cost and schedule estimates based around these architectures.
- Lead or participate in the conceptual, preliminary and detailed cryogenic subsystem design, as well as provide support for the integration of the cryogenic subsystem with larger system elements.
- Computation of heat transfer coefficients, temperature and heat flow calculations; steady state and transient.
- Responsible for creating effective plans, doing cost estimating, and managing efforts of the thermal design team.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering, with an emphasis in Fluids and Heat transfer is preferred.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- A current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with customer counterparts.
- Working knowledge of thermal, radiation, and convection software.
- Advance thermal math modeling using Thermal Desktop, TSS, ANSYS Mechanical, CFD, TAK2000, SINDA, and IDEAS/TMG software tools is a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience using CAD software Solid Works.
- Experience in spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, cryo systems, cryocoolers, cryoradiators, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment thermal design.
- Demonstrated creativity in cryo-thermal engineering design and analysis.
- Knowledge of cryogenic processes and materials usage.
- Knowledge of material properties at cryogenic temperatures.
- Knowledge of cryogenic instrumentation such as thermometers, liquid level probes, pressure transducers and flow meters.
- Knowledge of and will interface with experienced personnel in mechanisms, structural dynamics, electrical and telemetry systems, vibration and thermal control systems, and test.
- Demonstrated successful lead experience of cryo-thermal engineering activities.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of cryo-thermal engineering activities.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and DoD programs.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $135,000 - $170,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.