Principal Electrical Systems Engineer at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Electrical Systems Engineer
Create electrical subsystems of the future. Ball Aerospace in beautiful Westminster and Boulder, Colorado designs electrical subsystems for challenging space, air, and ground applications. We are looking for a technical leader with expertise in electrical subsystem technologies who can craft electrical solutions for a wide variety of remote sensing and controls related applications. You can Go Beyond with Ball! to realize your imagination and build an awesome life along the way at the gateway to the Rocky Mountains.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide technical leadership for multidisciplinary system team (optical, mechanical, focal plane, thermal, RF, software) including suppliers to create, influence and define discriminating electronics solutions to complex customer needs.
- Provide subject matter expertise in space-based electronics systems for spacecraft, payload, and components.
- Compose objective, quantifiable trade studies incorporating heritage system designs as well as new technologies and supplier capabilities to guide critical architectural decisions affecting the performance of other systems and subsystems.
- Electrical system-level modeling and simulation, analysis, trades, risk assessment, requirements derivation, allocation, and flow down.
- Maintain end-to-end electrical compatibility, functional allocations, and margins across entire system.
- Lead resolution of electrical hardware anomalies at the system level and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Identify and mitigate technical risks early in the design phase.
- Present analysis, findings, and design to peers, internal management, and customers throughout program phases (Proposal, IBR, SRR, PDR, CDR, IV&V).
- Mentor junior engineers in mission understanding, electrical subsystem technologies and concepts.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Strong problem solving, decision making (related to cost, schedule, technical and risk), and closure skills (dedication to close open items/issues) to ensure mission success.
- Demonstrated behaviors of a systems thinker; selects and applies appropriate systems thinking skills to solve very complex problems and implement constructive change.
- Experience of creating and delivering space-based electronics systems and subsystems.
- Working knowledge of interface and design documentation, such as functional block diagrams, PCB design, layout, and fabrication documentation skills.
- Experience with electrical design integration, cable & harness design, and/or command & telemetry database development background.
- Experience through the entire system lifecycle from concept, design, production, integration, test, launch, to operation support.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate complex concepts to widely varying audiences.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $145,500 - $183,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.