Payload Project Engineer II - Clearance Required at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Payload Project Engineer II – Clearance Required
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the design and development efforts for a major optical payload Assembly, Integration and Test (AI&T) program.
- Work with Systems and Design Engineering to develop a Payload VV&C Plan. Perform trade studies for verification of requirements using various methodologies and constrained by program cost and schedule requirements.
- Author AI&T plans and lead the development of test procedures for the purpose of prototype, qualification, and acceptance testing.
- Provide ongoing inputs on the AI&T scope of work, schedule, and cost to the Program Management Office including staffing forecasts and labor hours, and other direct costs for executing I&T activities.
- Take a leadership role working with engineers of other disciplines to develop test sets tailored for the verification of payload functional and environmental performance requirements.
- Manage the execution of verification testing, including functional, performance and environmental testing on payload products. Mentor and coach engineers of all experience levels on successfully executing through a challenging AI&T campaign.
- Maintain required fabrication and test engineering logs, records and author test summary reports.
- Take a leadership role interfacing and coordinating with customers and suppliers for program, design, and peer reviews.
- Provide technical oversight and support to teams of engineers and technicians.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the PL SEIT department, Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field plus 12 or more years of related experience is required.
- Additional relevant experience preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Hands-on experience in the integration and testing of optical payloads and instrument systems.
- Experience in the complete life cycle of payload development: requirements definition, architectural design, detailed design and analysis, manufacturing, integration, test, and post-delivery support.
- Experience in procedure development for optical payload functional, performance and environmental testing.
- Experience in environmental test design and Special Test Equipment (STE) supporting flight hardware Test.
- Experience executing AI&T campaigns with significant technical and logistical challenges. Proven direct experience with establishing and controlling a schedule and budget.
- Ability to lead and manage teams of engineers and technicians of varying grades across multiple disciplines.
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $138,000 - $174,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.