Network Planning Engineer at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position is responsible for understanding a large multinational Ethernet and IP network consisting of routers and switches from a variety of vendors with Juniper being the most widely deployed technology and by creating innovative solutions to address optimization and consolidation network opportunities. Applicants must have at least 3 years of experience working with Juniper and Cisco routing equipment and be knowledgeable on common Ethernet and IP protocols to include BGP, MPLS, and Spanning Tree. Creates targeted plans for network design options and configurations based on the overall budgets and helps schedule the completion based on requirements etc. Must also be an effective communicator working closely with Architecture, Engineering and Product team.
- Plan new IP/Ethernet networks and how to manage capacity in the responsible market.
- Assist in the development of a capital budget; provide budgetary details related to customer forecast and network upgrades. Manage capital associated with projects according to plan, develop reports, and provide weekly updates.
- Plan and develop proposal to cost effectively modernize legacy networks.
- Analyze existing extensive IP/Ethernet network and find optimization opportunities and develop high level plans of traffic migration to realize cost savings.
- Create short and medium term proactive capacity plans for development of IP & Ethernet network infrastructure.
- Develop and recommend strategies to address specific telecommunications, connectivity, and related customer service needs.
- Develop business case for expansion of IP infrastructure in new markets and provide high level IP/Ethernet network design.
- Design, engineer and recommend hardware solution to support capacity augment.
- Work well as a part of a team as well as be able to perform as an individual with minimal supervision.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and 1-3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent planning and optimization skills.
- Must have Juniper and/or Cisco router experience.
- 3+ years of experience in the planning service provider IP networks.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Visio.
- Understanding of telecommunications network circuit design and fiber optic networks or other comparable networks.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Metasolv (M6) is an asset.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while being a constructive contributor to a team.
- Knowledge of the following Transmission and TCP/IP standard telecommunication practices and technologies:
- Ethernet Switching
- IP Routing
- Spanning Tree
- Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM)
- Domain Name Servers (DNS)
Base salary range: $65,785-$71,719
Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave