Network Engineer at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
SONET is a mature product line that continues to contribute significant cash to the overall Zayo business. This position is responsible to identify, drive and manage Network Engineering and Optimization initiatives related to the SONET network, resulting in space consolidations and relocations, third party cost reductions, network modernization and access cost reductions. You will be responsible for identifying existing equipment and facilities at impacted locations, analyzing and auditing traffic on those elements, designing required network augments and reconfigurations, planning traffic migration and updating databases.
- Planning – Review of projects to understand existing equipment and circuit configurations and identify equipment and circuit options to meet project requirements as well as any costs required.
- Engineering – Physical and logical audit of the equipment and circuits, Design of new network/network reconfiguration including identification and sourcing of equipment shelves and cards within the existing network where possible
- Identification of space, power, fiber, wave, cross-connect, riser requirements for planned deployments and placing of internal orders
- Create statement of work, create internal order forms (via Salesforce.com)
- Work with Design and Tier III teams on circuit grooms for optimization projects.
- Update status and progress in Salesforce on a regular basis
- Issue orders for disconnect and removal of equipment
- Update Database to complete the project
- Provide Engineering support to Product Management and Sales for new customer orders and requests
- Support the NCC and Operations on an as-needed basis to source replacement parts or alternate routes during outages in order to reduce customer impacts and to ensure the network continues to operate reliably.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis on Electrical, Networking or Telecommunications Engineering preferred.
- Five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Detailed understanding and experience with SONET networking technologies and vendors
- Knowledge and experience with designing and engineering Cisco, Fujitsu, Ciena and Lucent SONET systems
- Familiar with fundamentals of provisioning fiber based circuits in a datacenter environment, including patches, cross-connects, risers, and backhaul.
- Detail oriented, quality driven, self-directed, and self-motivated team player.
- Experience working in a team within a complex and fast paced environment.
- Good problem solving skills with the ability to focus on the salient facts in order to resolve an issue.
- Experience organizing multiple, time sequenced tasks across several concurrent projects.
- Familiar with Google docs and sheets, email as well as Microsoft Excel
- Good communication skills – verbal and written.
Base salary range: $71,719-$78,113
Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave