We are looking for a talented and passionate individual to help manage our world-class SaaS email delivery infrastructure. You will be part of a team that ensures the reliability and performance of a large and diverse tech stack. You will maintain and extend the network infrastructure, and serve as an information conduit back to other Ops team members. You will continually improve the velocity of our deployment pipeline through automation and monitoring of network systems. Additionally, you will ensure the reliable connectivity between services in a large scale distributed SaaS environment.
What You’ll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Take personal responsibility for ensuring that all network environments and related systems are available 24/7
- Troubleshoot and remediate issues impacting the availability or operation of the network infrastructure
- Troubleshoot connectivity or latency issues between SendGrid’s customers and our SaaS services.
- Use configuration management and software tools to automate SendGrid’s network infrastructure
- Plan, implement, support, and maintain switches, firewalls, routers, proxies, wan accelerators, data center, and networking infrastructure to prevent loss of productivity or data.
- Manage IP allocation and advertisements.
- DNS administration and troubleshooting.
- Assist in design, documentation, configuration, integration, and installation of complex network infrastructure
- Design for modularity and flexibility
- Help define, break down and prioritize work in partnership with team
- Understand the product and software development process
- 2-5yrs experience as a Network Engineer in a 24/7 mission critical scaling environment
- You don’t just learn how things work, you learn why
- You pick up new technologies quickly
- You don’t believe in problems that cannot be solved
- Advanced beginner in configuration management and monitoring/instrumentation
- Competent in the following areas:
- Understanding of WAN, LAN, DMZ, VPN’s, TCP/IP, DNS, VLANs, etc. in a distributed environment
- BGP, iBGP, OSPF, and VRFs
- Layer 2 protocols and overlay networks (LACP, MLAG, VXLAN, etc.)
- Competent in a unix shell environment and linux systems administration
- Advanced in 1 or more programming language
- You align your actions and personal development with longer-term team goals
- Understanding of WAN technologies - OC3, DS3 / E3, MPLS, DWDM, Metro Ethernet
- Experience troubleshooting connectivity related issues in an AWS hosted environment
- Experience managing internet exchange peering relationships
- Knowledge of load balancing technologies (HAProxy preferred)
- Deep knowledge of datacenter virtualization (KVM/Kubernetes/Calico/OVS, etc.)
- Monitoring and metrics (Sensu, Graphite, Cloudwatch, Prometheus preferred)