Manager, Software Engineering at Xactly Corp
Job Title: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Denver, CO
Position Type: Full-time
Position Level: Managerial
Travel Requirements: Minimal travel required
Xactly’s engineering team is growing rapidly and we are looking for an Engineering Manager to our Denver center of excellence. This is a new position to manager our new OpsPanda team. Our development team executes quickly and is full of smart engineers from well-respected companies and universities. They look to their engineering leaders for mentorship, career development and organizational transparency. In order to build and ship high quality products extremely fast, efficiently and in a continuous manner, Xactly engineers rely on their leaders to remove any obstacles and guide them through engineering practices. At Xactly, we build teams that are helpful, respect each other, maintain a high level of customer focus, inclusive of everyone and we strive for strong product ownership by the team.
The ideal candidate will share our passion for SaaS products. You must strongly believe in Continuous Integration and Deployment as well as a DevOps culture. Working in a dynamic agile environment, you will collaborate daily with peer managers, product managers, software engineers and architects, technical writers, QE engineers, and data center operations engineers.
- Be a highly technical manager with deep experience in software and systems
- Must be willing to be at least 50% hands on
- Lead from the front during problem solving sessions by understanding and empowering the team by articulating clearly the context and business rationale.
- Partner with peer engineering managers and leads to drive continuous process improvements and innovation.
- Be a subject matter expert, lead the team by example and have a strategic influence.
- Establish trust and coordinate with distributed product management, support, data center operations and other peer engineering teams.
- Maintain balance between building high quality products and shipping code fast.
- Be a functional manager
- Help engineers to develop their career plans and assign project work tailored to their skillsets and aspirations.
- Metrics driven to measure and track progress of feature development, quality of the code, and productivity of the team.
- Work with other engineering leaders to continuously improve the overall development processes.
- Able to work with cross functional teams and translate functional requirements into technical design and implementations.
- Ability to pickup functional knowledge of the product at a fast pace.
- Partner with the recruiting team through the entire hiring process which includes sourcing, interviewing and onboarding.
- Provide continuous feedback and create action plans for both under and high performing team members.
Required Skills :
- 2+ years of prior relevant technical lead or management experience
- Master’s or Bachelor's plus 5 years experience in web application or platform development and architecture
- Solid hands on experience with Scala and/or Java
- Hands on experience with one or more key-value data store such as CouchBase, MongoDB, Hbase or Cassandra.
- Experienced in mentoring, managing engineers, recruiting and retaining top talent.
- Strong commitment to good engineering discipline and process including code reviews and delivering unit tests in conjunction with feature delivery
- Ability to make decisions and work with minimal direction even under pressure.
- Prior experience demonstrating the ability to understand a technical architecture, review design work and provide feedback to a talented team of engineers.
- Experience establishing and reviewing business metrics with the ability to articulate and provide visibility to the team on various business metrics ensuring every new feature developed meets and is tracked towards those metrics.
- Ability to manage priorities, set appropriate expectations with peer engineering management and deliver features on time with high quality.
- Ability to identify training needs of various team members and ramp new hires on products, process, and technology.
- Technically deep enough to participate in roadmap prioritization.
- Familiarity and experience with agile (scrum) development process
- Strong listening, written and verbal communication skills.
Highly Desired Experience:
- Prior hands on experience with open source technologies such as Spring, Hibernate, JBoss, SpringBoot.
- Experience working within a distributed engineering team including offshore
- Experience using chef, puppet or other deployment automation tools
- Hands on experience in deploying services on AWS, Azure or Google Cloud platform
- Strong working knowledge of RDBMS technologies and prior experience working with an enterprise database such as Oracle.
- Bonus points if you have contributed to an open source project
- Experience with agile (scrum) development process as an individual contributor and as a functional manager
- Team lead or Scrum master experience
- Proven track record of identifying and championing new technologies that enhance the end-user experience, software quality, and developer productivity
- Past experience working in a fast paced environment.