Manager, Software Engineering - Commerce at Sovrn
About the Team
The team is focused on building out the next generation of eCommerce products for affiliate marketing and content monetization to serve publishers on the Web. We use cutting-edge technologies and algorithms including advanced implementations of Cassandra, Kafka, Spark and Natural Language Processing (NLP), among many others. In this role, you’ll spend less time writing code, but remain engaged in technical deliverables. You’ll be responsible for clarifying deliverables, identifying bottlenecks in the process and eliminating roadblocks for your team so they can achieve more than they thought was possible. We believe in dedication, passion and personality. We are seeking a leader who can manage diverse, talented, and motivated engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements.
About the Job
The Commerce team is building a highly scalable and available architecture that supports our affiliate marketing products as well as building a new publisher experience web platform. We exist in open market conditions and operate at startup scale and speed so time to market and value add are key differentiators. This position offers the opportunity to collaborate with Sovrn executives, geographically distributed, world-class engineers, data scientists, and product managers to define the long term strategy of our next generation architecture.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Engineering management and mentorship of 1 - 2 full-stack, agile engineering teams
- Responsible for hiring, on-boarding, mentoring and retaining talent in a diverse team of engineers.
- Understand and communicate the business domain, and how it affects requirement and implementation details.
- Develop, execute and influence the product roadmap, ensuring high quality web applications and APIs.
- Track and manage key engineering metrics such as: team morale, product quality, cycle time, and team velocity.
- Work closely with Product Management and Creative teams to design new features and empower the engineering teams to develop them.
- Improve code quality and foster a culture of strong engineering design, delivery and quality.
- Work with cross-functional teams and across other business verticals to translate functional requirements into technical design and implementations.
- Work with other engineering leaders to continuously improve the overall development processes.
- Break down a full project plan into incremental deliveries, and track the team’s work against those steps.
You are an empathic leader, excellent communicator, strong on program management and organizing a diverse team. You are engaging and possess strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to foster great collaboration. You’re comfortable working with a wide variety of people, and respect the perspectives of those that disagree with you. Above all, you love learning, and sharing what you know.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience with developing or delivering web services, applications, and API’s
- Proven ability to manage and resolve complex technical issues
- Experience with Scrum and Agile development processes
- Excel in a fast paced startup-like development environment
- Passion and drive to help the team improve and deliver great products.
- Active listening and respect for others opinions and ideas.
- You are technical enough to understand the products and what the team is doing.
- Demonstrated success in coaching and mentoring others.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, AWS or another cloud platform.
- Experience working with remote engineering teams geographically distributed across the world
- Experience building and operating SaaS web applications
Position Reports to: Director, Software Engineering
Location: Boulder, Colorado
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $150,000 to $175,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidates relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location.
Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance,11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.