Lead Systems Engineer at Notion
Who we are
At Notion, we help people protect the things they love most. Notion’s first product, a multi-purpose IoT sensor, paired with thoughtful data analytics and services, delivers peace of mind to empower anyone to live an easier, safer, better life. Much more than home security, our ability to collect and analyze incredible amounts of data from homes has already led to partnerships with a number of insurance companies.
Our nimble team is made up of engineers, designers and business development experts. We're a motivated and passionate group of self-starters, excited to create solutions that truly make a difference in people's lives! Want to know more? Check us out at getnotion.com.
You have strong communication skills and are able to use them to manage and lead a diverse engineering team. You can cast a vision to the team and work with them to implement it while making tradeoffs when necessary along the way. You look at disagreements within the team as an opportunity for growth and alignment and not as an obstacle.
You have experience architecting solutions that are built to last and can scale. You have experience telling the difference between gold plating and a solid engineering choice. You can work in a fast paced environment and can identify and take steps to mitigate if a project is running behind. You work with the team to both set high level goals but also create a roadmap with how to achieve them.
You are a mentor for not only those engineers that report directly to you but also other engineers in the organization. You help your direct reports achieve their goals and develop their careers by both giving and receiving feedback in regular 1:1s.
This person will also work with other Lead’s in the organization to ensure we are all marching towards our business goals together. They will navigate the balance between leadership and also contributing at an independent level. Building both a team and a culture while also building software.
This person is someone we can count on to:
- Management of Platform Engineers on the Systems team
- Work with Director of Engineering on prioritization of work
- Communication and vetting of initiatives with broader Engineering teams
- Work with Principal Platform Engineer to maintain the security of the Notion platform and updating Notion Security standards where needed
- Work with team to identify any ‘shadow’ work being performed and bring it into our process
- Oversee and supervise the work of the development team
- Participate in sprint work and Platform on call rotation
- Give direct and timely feedback to team collectively and individually
- Be a mentor to other engineers
- Understand all services that comprise the Notion platform
- Understand how other Notion teams organize and executes on work
- Listen in retros and 1:1’s
- Work with Notion project management team to ensure there is a repeatable process for getting work done
- Implement steps to address feedback from 1:1’s and Retros
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- CS Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience managing and leading a team of engineers
- 7+ years of experience in a modern object oriented language
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
- Heavy experience designing, deploying, monitoring, and scaling apps on AWS
- Have an understanding of and experience developing highly secure systems
Nice to have
- Database performance tuning
- Experience handling massive volume of continuous data
- TLS/SSL experience
- Experience with AWS products
- Experience with Docker
- General DevOps knowledge
- HTML/CSS/JS experience
- Strong understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases
What we offer
- Competitive pay + Equity + Healthcare + 401(k) offerings
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Flexible scheduling and the ability to occasionally work from home
- An annual company retreat plus quarterly team outings and semi-annual volunteer days
- An upbeat and collaborative environment
Notion is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, sex (including pregnancy and childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.